Chapter Nine

Chapter Nine

When the venom has finally passed through my system I can sit up, leaning against the wall. A tray sits on the floor beside the bed. I leave the tray on the floor, shakily picking up the single slice of stale bread I get.

Eating the bread, I remember my hallucinations I had only minutes before. Hallucinations of how Katniss treated me. They're almost like the ones I had two days ago. I can't seem to remember the truth. Everything is getting muddled. All I can remember is what my brain has put in its place. I wish I could actually remember.

The footsteps outside my door cause me to painfully roll underneath the covers again, facing away from the door. I'm not sure why I'm acting this way. I hear the metal hatch open. I feel someone's eyes upon me. I don't dare move a muscle.

A voice is heard from the other side of the door. "Message from President Snow."

"Go on, tell. The boy's still sleeping," one of the guards say.

"The President wants the boy up for an interview tomorrow."

"An interview? The boy just had an interview yesterday," a third voice says. The second guard most likely.

"Not an interview for the boy. Snow is making an announcement of sorts," the first voice says.

"Very well, he'll be up," the first guard responds.

"What's the announcement?" the second guard asks.

"I have no idea. But did you hear what the President is planning for the day after tomorrow?" the first voice says in an excited whisper.

"No," Both guards respond.

"Snow is launching an attack on District Thirteen. Going to make sure they're gone for good this time."

The three men laugh delighted in this news and plan. The metal hatch swings closed as the footsteps recede down the hall. I have to warn Katniss about the attack. I don't know how. But I have to somehow.

~M:PPOV~

The next morning I'm woken by someone yelling. "Boy, get up. Time to go."

I painfully get out of bed. The venom is taking a real number on me. I walk to the door. "Follow me," the guard says leading me to the same room as before to get ready. I get ready quickly. The stylist seems to be in a rush. After getting ready, I follow the guards down to the car that awaits us. Once inside the car, I see Snow sitting across from me.

"Hello, Peeta. Tonight I want you to speak of a crease-fire again. Then I want you to highlight the damage done in the Districts. A broken dam in Seven, derailed train with toxic waste, granary collapsing after a fir, bombing of a water purification plant. These were all caused by rebel actions. Got all of that?" he asks.

I nod my head yes.

"Good. Now let's go," Snow says slipping from the car.

I'm pushed from the car by one of the guards and I stumble out. I follow Snow up onto a stage and take the seat set there for me. A metal rung is on the chair for my feet to rest upon. My foot starts tapping out a rhythm as I try to remember all Snow said to say.

Snow nods his head in greeting to the nation from behind a podium. Sweat breaks out on my forehead. Snow nods his head at me, a signal for me to begin speaking.

"We need a crease-fire for the better of our nation. There's been some much damage done to our nation already and we can't afford anymore. The rebels are destroying our nation. A dam has broken in District Seven. A train derailed spilling its contents of toxic waste. A granary collapsed of a fire," I begin, my voice different from what usually is.

Suddenly the screen in front of me shows Katniss standing in the rubble of the . . . the bakery?! The screen turns back to me in seconds.

I try to move on with what Snow told me to say. "There's been a bombing at a water purification plant."

The screen now shows Finnick talking about Rue. After a few moments the Capitol Seal shows on the screen. After half a minute Snow is back on screen; he moves forward.

"This clearly the rebels now attempting to disrupt the dissemination of information they find incriminating. But both truth and justice will reign. The full broadcast will resume when security has been reinstated. Peeta, given tonight's demonstration, do you have any parting thoughts for Katniss Everdeen."

Yes, I do have something to say. I have to warn her. "Katniss . . . how do you think this will end? What will be left? No one is safe. Not in the Capitol. Not in the Districts. And you . . . in Thirteen . . ." I inhale sharply not getting enough oxygen. "Dead by morning!"

"End it!" Snow shouts at my words.

I did it. I warned her. That's all I could do. The screen shows a picture of Katniss, seconds later the Capitol has control again. I try to continue speaking. But can't. A camera is knocked down. Guards rush at me. One hits me, hard, in the head. I fall to the floor, hitting my head against the hard floor. My blood splattering before me on the tiles from the impact.  

Edited