61 So Where Are They?

Start from the beginning

The Amoris look exhausted, their bodies slumped forward, and chins hanging down toward their chests. The shackles don't allow them to lay down.

I turn away from them. "Someone needs to see to his arm." I look over my shoulder at Jonas. His stitches are haphazard at best. I'm not in the mood to see my family or any of the rebels. Ever since I set foot in this base, I feel as if I haven't had the chance to be alone.

Minutes later, I find the dormitory bunker I share to be blessedly empty and lay down on my bottom bunk.

Seeing my family like that didn't fill me with satisfaction like it should have. I want to fight my family, I want to hurt them, but it all feels like a hollow victory if they are unable to hurt me back. Having them beaten while chained is not the vengeance I'm craving.

If I free my country from Expiration Dates, I don't want to be remembered for that. I don't want to be the villain I've felt like while a part of the Society. I want to be the hero.

I don't want to be remembered as my cousin Andrew will be in the history books after he set a bomb off in Jonas's office in the hopes it was our cousin's Expiration Date.

He wanted to be a rebel. He hated the Society more than I did. But he was never going to give Jonas the chance to fight back. I may hate Jonas, but I didn't and don't want him to die.

In the end Andrew's bomb only hurt one person and that was me. I place a hand on my cheek where the scar is forming after I was struck by a piece of the shrapnel.

There were other bombs that went off that day at nearby estates of families in the Society's outer circle. And though it's suspected he was responsible for those, he never claimed them like he did with the one in the Estate. The other bombs could have been from rebels, or maybe Andrew had already joined them.

The hero.

The villain.

Your title all depends on which side you're on.

So I'm both at once.

Good and evil.

And I really only want to be one.

#NYCWattCon was unbelievably amazing. To JayVictor (thanks for the book!), KellyAnneBlount, BrittanieCharmintine, and Adam_and_Jane, thank you for putting it together. You all are fantastic. Thank you, Wattpad, for allowing me to be in the Star program which allowed me to hang out with so many incredible Wattpadders who I look up to. CaitlinOHanlon, alessandra, IyanaBanana, TheOrangutan, AronIsHere, SuzanneSpence, and the rest of Wattpad HQ, do you realize how much we all love you? TEJJohnson, I'm pretty sure we could be best friends. Remember my college's football team creamed yours. (#1 SciFi). Tamoja and krazydiamond, we survived New York City! To my Once Upon Now buddies who could come this weekend (DebbieGoelz, Tamoja, Tasting_stars, fallzswimmer, JessicaBFry, and RSKovach), we have matching charm bracelets that are stunning. We could be the sisterhood of the traveling bracelet (credit: Tamoja). GavinHetherington and XxSkater2Girl16xX, you both were adorable last night. XxSkater2Girl16xX, I'll never forget the chicken wing or that trip to the bathroom. GavinHetherington, let me know when you're in my town! The #Wattpad4 (RebeccaSky, ELatimer, DistantDreamer, and LDCrichton), you all are gorgeous and insanely cool. ELatimer, thank you for signing Frost! GregCarrico, I'm so happy I finally got to meet you--a fellow Sci-fi Wattpadder! Try not to walk into anymore kitchens. TaranMatharu, your Wattpad story is an inspiration to all of us! TaliaArcher, everyone loves you, and SquadGoals totally happened last night. Maybe you should write us winning the lottery next. Right, guys? TharronSkylor, thanks for paying for my fries. I hope you enjoyed your first trip to NYC! stpolishook, you're awesome and an ambassador! It was so nice to meet you! DoNotMicrowave, I only got to talk to you when we were all saying goodbye, but trust me, I wouldn't have thought you were creepy if you sent me a message. I probably would have fangirled a little. FallonDeMornay, you're beautiful. I wish we had a chance to talk more! knightsrachel, I can't believe we live in the same town! So cool to meet you at last, Red_Assassin! SarahPerlmutter, do you know how happy I was to meet you? Do you? Incredibly, insanely happy. If I missed anyone, please forgive me! I've only had about four hours of sleep.