27 The Twins

The beautiful drawing and quote are by @Jasmine_herondale

Jonas~~

My order is arranged with me at the front followed by Colton, going down numerically all the away to Enzo. Iris stands on my right.

The wind blows water droplets from the fountain against me, and though the temperature today is not high, standing in the sun and in suits, the water is a nice reprieve. Even after leaving the dungeons from below the Estate, I've had a hard time shaking the cold.

Alix's and Abella's limo drives down the hill from the guard gate. They landed earlier at our private airport. Bently grumbles something under his breath that I can't make out, but that causes Eli to snicker.

I asked Iris to be present because if Alex and Abella are to take her back with them to France, I want them to meet her as early into their trip as possible. I don't expect her to be their friend or to live with them, but I'd like her to know that she won't be alone.

The limo pulls around the drive to the front of the fountain, and an attendant opens the door. Abella steps out first, the high heels of her shoes pressing down on the stone pavers. She's dressed in billowing pants and a black top, and her brunette hair falls in waves around her. As her eyes meet mine, she smiles warmly. Her twin, Alix, follows her. Alix, though his pants are fitted, matches her. My mother hardly ever made Gwen and Colton wear the same outfit.

"Jonas," they both say with no formalities that come after years of friendship. I shake their hands, and they nod to my Order before turning to Iris who curtsies.

"Iris," I say, "this is Prince Alix and Princess Abella."

"It's a pleasure to meet you, Your Highnesses."

"The Preeminence has told us so much about you." Alix takes Iris's hand though she didn't offer it and presses his lips to the back of her hand. "We'd be delighted to have you in France."

Iris smiles graciously. "Thank you, Your Highness."

Alix turns to me. "Where is Gwen?"

"I believe she's right inside. She's eager to see you both again."

After a few more words are exchanged, Abella makes her way down my Order, having brief two-sentence conversations with each of them.

Alix frowns. "She needed this trip," he says to me in French. "But you never heard that from me."

Titling my head, I study her shaking Riley's hand. "Is something wrong?"

"She and her girlfriend broke up only a few days ago. Again, you did not hear that from me."

I nod. "I've already forgotten who told me."

*****

For most of the afternoon except at lunch, we see little of Alix and Gwen, who has taken it upon herself to show him all over the Estate save for down below of course. He had been to our Estate in Wyoming but not this one. It's not a secret for those who are close with Gwen to know she has had a crush on Alix for years. Though if anyone were to ask her, she'd deny it.

Gwen has always sought power, and if she can't find it here, there's no reason she shouldn't look elsewhere. It would have been rather marvelous to have her as my Tresais. My brother and sister and I ruling in the head positions of the Order. That's how it should have been. At least I know she'd never betray me.

In my office, I go through emails, some regarding the dinner tonight. It will only be with my Order and Abella and Alix.

The princess asked to spend time with Iris, suggesting she could help Iris with her French. I'm fairly certain Abella will tell Iris that my pronunciation is poor. It's not.

There's a knock on my door, and Colton shows himself in.

I quickly hit send on an email, so I can give him my full attention. One look at his face and I say, "You haven't seen her yet."

The chair across from me makes a soft creak as Colton sits down. "No."

"You'll need to eventually—for your own sanity."

"I'm aware. I'm—I'm going down there after this."

"Then what is it you're here for?"

He runs his hands over the tops of his pants. "I figured if I told you, I couldn't back out of it."

"Are you going to ask her about her family?" Her house was searched last night while the ball was still going on, but nothing was found that would incriminate her family. And as they're a family in the Society's outer circle, like Arrietty's was before she became a Konkursi, we can't simply arrest them.

"She'd never say anything that would put them in danger. I couldn't ask it of her."

I nod, logging out of my email. "She's your girlfriend. What happens to her is up to you."

"She's not anymore."

I remain silent.

"What if I don't want that responsibility?"

I lean back in my seat. "My brother refusing responsibility?"

"Couldn't you . . . export her?" He says export as if the word leaves a bad taste in his mouth.

"To France?"

"I don't want to know where. I don't want to be able to find her. But if she stays in Elleany, she'll be in a prison. In another country, she'll have freedom she won't have here."

"She did betray the Society."

"I love her though. I can't let her waste away."

"She wouldn't be in prison her whole life."

"I know." He stands, and I sigh.

"I'll see what I can do."

Fun fact about Expiration Date; the original title was Due Date.