15 We Want Answers

Colton~~

The Preeminence tells us that the changes to the tax code have passed, and August, the Delta, seated beside me in the Senate chamber, works on pulling up the next order of business. My throat feeling sore, I take a sip of water. I better not be getting sick.

After dinner last night, I went to bed early, exhausted from everything that happened before getting to the Estate and from overanalyzing every aspect of my conversation with Vienna yesterday morning.

My brother, though, had us in the Senate chamber at an ungodly hour of the morning, and damn him, but he looks perfect. No one could guess that he was remotely sleep deprived. Breakfast hasn't been served to the Society yet—or to us for having to be up early—and we're down here having to debate every topic. I think he's punishing us for our insurrection.

The Delta opens his mouth, I presume to read the next item when the Epsilon, Eli, interrupts.

"I'd like to know why August isn't Tresais."

The room grows silent as all eyes turn to my brother and Erik who are seated beside each other. The Preeminence drums his fingers on the armrests of his throne, staring the Epsilon down. It's a surprise he'd ask a question like that while seated next to the current Tresais who rolls his shoulders back.

"The Delta is more than welcome to it," Erik says.

"No, he's not." The Preeminence's voice is like an icy breeze striking on a silent night. "He, like you, Epsilon, tried to move up his rank by removing me from the Order. If I thought any of you were better options than the member ahead of you, perhaps then I would replace the Tresais, but as it stands, I'm not inclined to give any of you more power than you already have save for our Eta. He's the only one who didn't participate in your . . . temporary loss of judgement."

Seong-ho, the Zeta, props his chin on his palm. "So, you didn't also have a temporary loss of judgement when it came to Iris?"

"You're treading on thin ice, Zeta."

"I'm saying what we're all thinking. Your father would have ordered her killed before he even bothered checking to see if her Mark was misprinted."

Jonas's hand curls into a fist. "I am not my father and will not be compared to him. His decisions are his. Not mine. This is my Order, and I will lead the Society how I deem best."

The Digamma, Bently, looks as if he's drawing designs into the armrest of his throne with the tip of his finger. As he studies his invisible art, he remarks, "Do you ever wonder what the Beta would have done if it was Vienna who was thought to be Expired?"

I'm out of my seat before the Delta can stop me, and I cross between his seat and the desk to get to the Digamma. The Delta's hand wraps around my arm, tugging me back. The Digamma doesn't even flinch.

"Do you think you've just asked a particularly clever question, Digamma?"

He smiles. "Yes."

The Delta gives a firmer yank on my arm.

The Zeta laughs, and Sebastian, the Theta, glares at him.

"How would he kill her?" The Zeta tilts his head, examining me. "Would he make it painful so he can drag it out to have more time with her or would he be merciful and kill her quickly?"

Images of Vienna flash in my head, and I shut my eyes, trying to collect myself. "Vienna will die on her Expiration Date. There is no point in discussing this. People don't live past their Expiration Date. Iris has only ever been the one exception."

The Digamma raises an eyebrow. "I do believe I specified thought to be Expired."

I couldn't kill Vienna.

I wouldn't.

How could she ever ask me if I would?

But I have lie to them if I want this conversation to end and hope that it doesn't get back to her. "I'd do what the Society required of me." I turn to my brother. "May I go?"

His shoulders look heavy as if the laurel crown weighs more than it does. He nods once, and I remove myself from the chambers before I do something I'll have a hard time regretting.