46 Why Are There Babies In There?

Love! Love! Love! Made by puzzling

Jonas~~

"Has anyone seen Iris?" I ask as I walk up to the table where Gwen, Colton, Percy and Bently partake in brunch by the pool instead of joining the rest of the Society for lunch. A lunch Iris isn't present at.

She didn't answer my call, and it's not that I'm worried or expect her to immediately answer her phone.

It's that I'm wisely cautious.

This is the Society.

And Iris is Expired.

It doesn't help that Abella and Alix return in five days and leave two days after that. I want to foolishly spend every moment I can with her.

Bently lowers his wine glass that's half full with mimosa. "Seong-ho's room, I think."

Percy side eyes him. "And how would you know that?"

I take the empty seat beside Gwen and drink her Bellini. She swats at my hand.

"Because I saw her going in there when I was leaving my room."

Seong-ho joined Colton on his cross-country manhunt for Iris. Why would she be spending time with him?

Gwen holds her glass in her hand, keeping me from drinking out of it. "They did know each other during his mission," she says as if she's reading my thoughts. "Maybe they're catching up . . ."

Percy snorts. "Catching up. Right. They're probably continuing their fight."

I grimace remembering the Senate meeting Colton and Iris got into a verbal confrontation about orphanages. They challenged each other to a fight in the gym, but Seong-ho took Colton's place.

Needless to say, Iris was unhappy after for a multitude of justified reasons.

"If Seong-ho's sporting a nice bruise around his eye tomorrow, we'll"—Percy motions to all of us—"know why."

I grab Bently's mimosa, and he shoots me a glare. I drink it anyway. "Seong-ho's at lunch."

Bently continues to glare. "Strange."

Gwen looks at Colton who's seated beside her as he slices a piece of French toast. "You've been awfully silent. Do you have anything to add?"

Colton doesn't look up, spreading a dollop of chocolate mousse on the piece of toast. "No. I frankly don't care if she's sleeping with Seong-ho."

I tense, hand gripping Bently's glass.

Percy lowers his utensils. "That's not what any of us were implying."

Colton finally looks up. "Hmm?"

Gwen sets her Bellini down. "What do you know?"

"I know nothing of them, my dear khaleedessa."

Gwen pushes her chair back and stands. "He's lying." She turns toward the house. "Come on."

Percy, Bently, and I stand as well.

Colton remains seated. "What are you doing?"

She's already started walking. "Getting an answer."

As I walk past him, I say, "Colton, come on."

His chair scrapes against the pavers. "This is ridiculous."

It doesn't take long to reach Seong-ho's room. I knock but there's no answer. "Seong-ho? Iris?"

Nothing.

Percy tries the handle but finds the door locked. Gwen steps to the side. "Bently, break the door."

The four of us whirl on her.

"What?" Bently asks.

"That's not necessary," I say.

Gwen sighs. "The door can be repaired. My curiosity can't. Bently."

"Why can't you?"

"Because I asked you. And I'm sure you need the practice. You never know when you'll need to break down a door to save a damsel."

Percy steps away from the door. "I gather this does not count as one of those times."

"I can't believe I'm doing this." Bently drives his foot against the door, the wood around the lock splintering. The door swings open.

Inside, framed by the door, Iris lets out a curse. She stands in the center of the room, between the door and my cousin's bed that's against the back wall.

Iris stares at us, frozen in place.

Gwen strolls inside. "Hello to you—"

A baby's cry interrupts her, and the blood drains from Iris's face.

The crying is muffled.

Gwen opens Seong-ho's closet, and the crying only grows louder. There's definitely more than one crier.

My sister covers her mouth with her hand, and I quickly cross the room, feeling my cousins on my heels.

Inside my Zeta's closet is a crib containing two babies.

When I can finally bring myself to tear my gaze away and to look at Iris, she's still standing there in the middle of the room, her hand in a fist, the knuckles pressed against her lips.

My cousin, my Zeta, has two babies living in his closet. I run my hands through my hair. I'm seriously worried about my Order.

"What the hell—" Seong-ho stops in his doorway.

Bently grabs him before he can run.