Chapter 57 - UNSTEADY (Ansel Conrad POV) Pt. 3

Sorry for the long hiatus. I have strep. It sucks. 

Chapter 57 – UNSTEADY (Ansel Conrad POV) Pt. 3

The house truly did come with just about everything I think as I make my way down to the cellars. I'm out of sight for the first part of Devin's loud rant, "This is not right. I warned you about Taylor-" when I step out of the shadows she spots me, her performance enhancing. "And instead of getting better treatment you – he-" Devin sneers at Antone, "he's locked me up here." Her face dirtied with clear dried tear tracks.

"Antone?" I ignore Devin.

Sighing, I just stuff my hands in my pockets. "Why on earth did you not leave Devin out on the side of the road somewhere?" I might not have it in me to do such a thing now, but I was working on it.

As though she hadn't spoke or was even in the room with us Antone turned to me. "I thought that maybe there was something worth saving her for – she is a young lady who was raised by-"

"Don't you dare talk about my parents!" Devin screeched, kicking the metal bars.

"Two parents – rest their souls – that were out of their depths," Antone finishes. Nodding, I do agree with him.

It had been on my mind for the last few days. How afraid of Taylor had Shannon and Javier Senior been? For as close as Shannon claimed to be to Lenah?

There were but three explanations and after deep thought, I was going to assume that could be thrown in the hat. Yet instead of only one being the most reasonable I would guess it was all three.

First, fear. Second, shame. And third, they did not want to be labeled the family with the one that killed her sister. That would follow them everywhere, Devin and Javier included.

"I'm right here! You cannot keep me locked up like this! When I get free-"

"Do you want to know what your life is going to look like when you get out Devin?" I spit, facing her now. "We will let you out and then I drop you on the doorsteps of some police station," her eyes go blank and lips turn downward.

Laughing humorlessly I shake my head at her. "Taylor not only murdered your parents and siblings but according to the police files that Angela was able to look into... they found your prints on the knives. Your shoe prints in their blood, and as if that wasn't enough... the police are also under the impression that you murdered Taylor herself." Brows pushed together the blank expression shifts to confusion.

"I – but – I – I-" Devin whips her head from side to side, "I – it – I would never do that!" she cries out weakly.

Again, even when I do not want to feel sorry for Devin, I do. Antone was right, she was a confused girl, abandoning her could be the last blow that made her spiral completely.

She was already irrational and spoilt.

Running her hands over her loose hair Devin rocks in place, "This – you guys – this cannot be happening. No – you're – you've turned Javier against me," she groans out a pained cry.

"If you weren't turning him against me, poisoning him, he'd want to see me, give you hell to see me," she jabs her thumb against her chest.

Antone takes a step forward, "Child," he shakes his head, "Javier is not your parent. He is a young man dealing with the same news that you are, you cannot be selfish and believe that Javier has to put aside the same turmoil you are wallowing in to help you. Why would you want to be that type of sister to him?"