Chapter 49 - Cards On The Table (Ansel Conrad POV) Pt.6

Guessing game: How old do you think Naomi is?

Hey allllll! Okay so funny story. I swear I felt like the Grinch today! It was my block party and while I'm normally all like "Yeah!! Block party!" I was more like "Ugh, I hope it rains!" I mean it's just SO HUMID in Chicago right now. I was out there for like an hour around 8am, and nearly had an asthma attack it was so muggy out. So by 11am, I was like "Rain! Rain! Rain! Rain dangit!"

So... I get my wish, it rains... but it comes down with lightening and thunder and the power goes out until like five minutes ago LOL!

Anyways... be careful what you wish for. Enjoy :)

Chapter 49 – Cards On The Table (Ansel Conrad POV) Pt.6

I seldom placed my trust into people easily without taking time to know them. Many people thought to keep their enemies closer than friends and not all relationships are sought out because or on faith.

So looking at the Naomi with her alabaster skin, flushed cheeks and dark jet-black hair, I could hardly blame Danny, Cynthia or Leslie for underestimating her. I had done just the same as my brother.

There really was nothing threatening when it came down to physical features about Naomi. She stood maybe at five feet five inches, was petite with delicate facial features and wide eyes that reminded me of an innocent creature.

Hell, dainty was the word that came to mind when I saw her – bulgy now – in her down jacket.

She stands in front of me now, waiting for my response, but what could I truly say? I thought her a Kitsune, but it was clear that I did not have the most knowledge on the beings.

For one, I did not know that they were Guardians or had Charges but had just been informed by Andy and Naomi of that bond they held.

"You are leaving because you sense danger," Naomi says and again, her selection in words are registered, "We can tranquilizer her, and leave her in my car. My family is on their way to Bend. They will arrive in two hours, but I feel that your suspicion is warranted," again I just hold a fixed frown on my face.

"We leave?" I blink glancing at my parents, my mind still turning over what Naomi has revealed to me. "Are you worried to leave Danny and the children behind?" Naomi continues speaking.

"I've been giving them special tea," my eyes widen, and I hoist Cynthia up when my grip on her loosens. "Yes, you have, I've been meaning to ask what tea you've been giving the children," my mother comes forth now, aware of what Naomi has been doing at the guest house.

"Danny is grieving, and the effects of her feeding on him-"

"Wait! What?" Dad comes closer, joining us glancing at Naomi, my mom and Cynthia. "Who has been feeding on Danny?" assuming a vampire.

"His wife, Cynthia," Naomi answers in her small but poised voice. "Not just on Danny, but all the children," I almost want to laugh at her matter-a-fact tone.

Baffled, dad takes a step back rubbing his face. In the distance I hear an approaching vehicle, and step back in the shadows with Cynthia for a moment until I've placed the noise it brings.

Trevor.

The last to arrive – although I understood why.

With his job at the hospital, he could not just leave without making sure that someone would be covering his workload. Plus I had him make a little stop to make sure that Nick Ramos was more than preoccupied as we made our escape.