Chapter 10 - One Step Forward (Faith POV)

Not counting if you've read past this chapter, what do you readers feel like you wish there was more of up to now, this point. 

A/N: NOT THOROUGHLY EDITED.

Chapter 10 - One Step Forward (Faith POV)

Sonya Mishal. Her accent is thick like my Latin teachers, but understandable - to me. Today I note that her hair isn't neatly combed, but wild and free, framing her face.

Her eyes patient and her demeanor fully calm. I on the other hand, with a pad of paper on my lap, a sharpie pen in my right hand, I wait tensely. Tired though I had slept, but the nightmare, or dream still fresh on my mind. I couldn't tell if it was a memory or nightmare, to be honest, they all seemed to feel the same to me these days. Though this one was different. The cold eyes with the nearly empty voice I dreamt, the face wasn't like ours.

Human. The way I saw the cold eyes, they were on a monster, face contorted, nearly abstract, but the only thing that was clear was how I felt looking into the eyes while the other features were misplaced.

Fear and loneliness.

"You seem distracted," Sonya says softly. Not wanting to discuss the dream or nightmare, I just shake my head. "Well then, I do believe that I gave you some homework..."

I hadn't wanted to give anyone in the Conrad home anything they could use against me, but I had produced answers for Sonya. So nodding, I started to write my answers.

Five words or one sentence to describe your life before being found.

Before I was found, my life was silent but I had music and books to fill my time, to quench my thirst for activity.

Five words or one sentence to describe your life with Walsh and Patricia.

Walsh and Patricia, even though they couldn't keep me, they were nice to me and because they knew Dmitri I think I trusted them.

Five words or one sentence to describe your new living arrangement with the Conrads.

I'm unsure about it, but I like that I have a lock on my door and that no one comes in without permission.

When I've  finished writing, I turn the paper towards Sonya, and while her eyes trail along my print, I focus on her eyes, her lips, and her overall reactions to my words. Though I do watch, I see nothing, she gives away nothing, only nods and takes notes on her own pad that I don't get to see.

"I have a few questions," of course, she does, I think but try to keep my face neutral. "But you already knew that," she teases me and for a minute, I wonder if she could read my mind, but I push that away, Dmitri never said anything about people reading each other's minds.

"Well, you said you found it easier to trust Walsh and Patricia," I nod reluctantly. "Dmitri lied to you though Faith, how can you trust the people he sent when he lied? Wouldn't it be easier to trust the people that never knew Dmitri that way, you'd know for sure that they weren't lying to you?" it's a trick.