Chapter 2 - Brand-New Day (Samson Conrad POV) Pt. 2

A/n: Slightly more editing than before. New Post. 

Chapter 2 – Brand-New Day (Samson Conrad POV) Pt. 2

Pushing, I force myself to go impossibly faster than I had been going, wanting to feel the burn as I flew between the trees, the forest where I could be who I was inside myself. There would be trouble if I was found out, but on today of all days, I just wanted to act a bit reckless, do something – anything – to tide me over for tomorrow.

Not much to be done when it came to Bend.

Bend Oregon – the most peaceful place you'll ever live. Not my words, just those written on the carved welcome to Bend sign.

Eventually the high of running only plateaus I know it's pointless to continue. I could run up to Idaho and probably still feel the same way and tomorrow it would only grow worse. Some would have already forgotten what the day represented while others knew and only stared.

There had been a time when I never thought I would want to leave this place, it was home, it had and gave me everything I needed and I was sharing it with my family. There was something for all of us ten children – school activities, hobbies, music, rock climbing, fishing... it had everything.

But, that's just what it had, now?

I avoid: the movie theater that we snuck into endlessly, using our likeness to one another to deceive. The ice cream store on 3rd street where we both got our first jobs, because sure we could go buy dessert from the store but selling it and sneaking some every once in a while seemed better. I stopped playing my guitar near the town square because well sometimes someone would want to know where the other player that they heard some time ago was and the answer led to a pitiful look I could no longer stomach. Each spot held a memory that would cause me physical pain, squeeze my damn heart to the point where I could not take it.

Just one year and I'd leave this place. I'd find somewhere new.

I'd find a new forest to roam and call home. Maybe the time away will heal these wounds.

It's a worthwhile thought, but, that's not true, guilt did not just disappear because of location. It wasn't a sickness that could be eased by changing environment – not completely I do not believe. I would not go off to college and miraculously my burden would lessen.

To avoid detection, I hurry back home, entering from the kitchen where my siblings and family friends were all convened – though my parents were nowhere in sight. Thankfully. If anyone could figure out what I had been doing minutes ago, it was my mother – Kalenah.

"Hey bro," my oldest brother Brennan greeted me, his long time girlfriend – Devin – sitting besides him, slinks onto his lap, leaving the seat next to her sister – Taylor – available. Taking the free seat, I reach for a slice of pizza from one of the three boxes opened before everyone. "I'm getting coke, you want anything Sam?" Taylor asks grabbing her half empty glass as she stands. Shaking my head, mouth too full at the moment to speak, frowning back, she turns heading off but comes back with two straws in her drink, "so you don't use my straw," she shrugs off.