Chapter 11 My Charlie

7 Years Old

 "Daddy what are you doing?" I ask my Daddy as he lays underneath his big blue truck. He jumps at my words and slides out to look at me, and as soon as his eyes meet mine they brighten with happiness. My daddy is very handsome as my mommy says, he has dark brown hair with grey mixing in, he has blue-grey eyes just like me, and he his so tall and strong he can lift me up on his shoulders! 

"Hey sunshine, come here and I'll show you." He has his arm extended for me to grab his hand, and as soon as I place my hand in his he pulls me into his lap and gives me little butterfly kisses all over my cheeks. " hehehehehe DADDY stop!" I bust out in giggles secretly loving it, I love when daddy and me get to spend time together without mommy here complaining. Whenever mommy complains daddy just looks at me, smiles and shakes his head.  "Alright, alright, come on lay on your back and watch me do some daddy things" He says as he's smiling bright

"Daddy why does mommy say this truck is a waste of time? Why don't you get rid of it?" He looks over at me and grins, "Well sweatheart this truck was my dads, and it meant a lot to him. Since he passed away before you could meet him I'm holding onto it for you." My eyes got so big, "For me?!"

"Yeah honey, for you. I want you to have this when I'm gone on trips you can remember me and have it all through high school to build memories. But no boys for you" He says with a stern look, but doesn't mean it all.  "No worries daddy, boys are gross." I stick my tongue out to exaggerate what I mean.  He looks up to the sky and mumbles to himself "God, please let her believe that until I'm dead." 

"JAMES!" 

Daddy and I both look to the garage where mommy is standing, I whisper to daddy " I think your in trouble daddy." His body starts shaking with laughter and bends his head so he can whisper back in my ear, "I think you might be right Charlie." 

"Stop brainwashing my daughter and clean up before we have our guest over for dinner!" Mommy turns and storms back in the house

I look back up to daddy, "I don't like the Torres's, their son tried to kiss me when we played dress up." Daddy started laughing again, "No worries sweatheart, I wont let him get you alone." I smile up at him thankful that he's my true hero. Mom comes back out the garage door with her camera and holds it up, "Alright before I have to ruin the moment again, let me get this Kodak moment and smile!" 

I smile bright, and my daddy bends his head while looking at the camera and says my favorite words in the whole wide world, "My Charlie" 

When mommy finishes, I turn and look up at daddy "Your my best friend in the whole wide world daddy"

His eyes fill with tears and I fear that I upset him, but then he smiles and kisses my forhead. 

"Come on lets go get cleaned up before we're really in trouble."

I run into the house and just keep thinking of daddy's words, My Charlie

Its true I am, and always will be no matter what.