Just The Beginning

PLEASE comment every thought

Jen's POV

9 months pregnant and for what?

The rain falls like tears on our umbrellas. Coating the grass and clinking against the tin roof.

I don't remember when it was that I zoned out from reality. Was it this morning when Colin and I were getting dressed?

Or when he tried to make small talk during breakfast and I couldn't even smile?

Was it now?

Honestly I don't know. The chills racking through my body is the only thing keeping me from weeping and falling to my knees.

I just stare. Stare at the stone mockingly sticking out of the ground with my baby's name written on it.

Hope Morrison

My family and friends told me I should give her that name. That it would honor her.

But right now the last way to describe this is hopeful.

I've lost my child. Her father, in prison. Turns out he was a fake sycopathic doctor. The police had been trying to track him down for over a decade when he moved here but failed to find him until he was on the news that night.

He publically broadcasted the pregnancy and said I was completely willing. Colin threw the remote at the TV that night and cracked the screen. The police arrested him and we went to court the next day. We won.

It was out. The truth. Colin tried to protect me from the press during the months I was pregnant but it was inevitable. I knew I'd have to face it but telling the world only made it feel more real.

Every night I would soak Colin's shirt with my tears as he rubbed random circles into my back and whispered encouragements into my hair.

"We'll get though this" he said

"Don't worry" he said

But what he didn't know was that I'd lose the child. My child.

I don't realize the tears streaming down my face until I feel my eyes burn. I wipe the tears and see that Colin's eyes are on me. They're always on me.

"Shh its ok, love" he said wiping the remaining tears.

"No its not" I sob. "Sh-she's gone"

"I know Jennifer. I'm so sorry" Colin's voice cracks causing me to look at his face. I hadn't even realized he was crying as much as I was.

I wiped his tears in return and kissed his cheek. He looks at me like I'm a freaking angel.

After what feels like hours later, I lay my hand on the gravestone and place a kiss to the top of it.

I pray.

Colin notices my sobs and kneels down to me with his arm around my back.