Us, It Can't Happen

Colin's POV

"I'm so sorry Jen I- I don't know where that came from" I said as I quickly pulled away from her and scratched behind my ear- a habit I do when I'm nervous or ashamed.

I couldn't read Jen's expressions. Usually she's an open book but now I was unsure.

"Colin-" she started to say but paused and looked me in the eyes. "That can never happen again" Jen said as she started walking off but I grabbed her wrist.

"Don't tell me your just gonna brush that off and act like nothing happened or that you don't feel the same."

She paused and slowly turned back around. "And what if I do feel the same? It's not like it would work cause you're still married and have a child. Colin your my co-worker and my best friend so this-" she paused "us, it can't happen."

"That's not it, that's not your reason. The real reason why is because your afraid! I'm getting a divorce and I can't take care of Evan as well as Helen so she gets custody but I still get to see him whenever I want!" By this point I was yelling.

How could she just stay behind her walls never letting love in? I thought to myself. I looked at Jen and saw tears in her eyes, I probably shouldn't have yelled at her like that.

"Jen?" I said with an apologetic tone.

"Leave. Me. Alone" she said as she turned and started walking again. I could hear her cries and felt bad for how I reacted. Maybe I should have left things well enough alone.

Jen's POV

I got in my car and shut the door. There were some tissues in the glove compartment so I grabbed them and wiped my eyes. Mascara was streaming down my face and my eyes were puffy. Did that really just happen? He yelled at me, Colin yelled at me! I know I should have said I felt the same but he just lost his temper. This is why I never wanted to tell him because I was afraid it would ruin our friendship. I thought to myself as I drove off to my apartment.

Ava was waiting for me at the door as happy as could be. She wagged her tail and followed me to the couch. I slumped down and wiped the last of my tears from my eyes. I grabbed my phone from my pocket and saw I had eight messages and two phone calls from Colin. Each call had a voicemail so I listened to them, the first one said

Hey. Im so sorry for how I reacted. It was uncalled for and I hope you'll forgive me. Your my best friend and I hope this doesn't come between us. Please call me back so I know you're home safe.

The second one said

Jen please respond. You're scaring me and I need to know if you're home safely. Can we talk tomorrow in my trailer? I'm spending the night here so could you come early and we could discuss this? Please forgive me again, I didn't mean to hurt you.

I don't want to respond but I don't want him to worry about me getting home safe so I texted him and said -

I'm home safely thanks for the concern. Goodnight

Colin responded immediately and said -

Whew glad you're safe. Goodnight to you too and I'm sorry again for tonight. Forgive me?

I never responded. I was too hurt to forgive him although deep down I truly forgave him and wanted to go pick him up and bring him here so he wouldn't have to sleep on set but I knew that just seeing him right now would make me cry.

I turned the tv on and watched Outlander. I dozed off within minutes thinking of the best moments between Colin and I.

Oh and she really likes Outlander. I hear about it everyday on set. Colin had said at the NerdHQ.

Genuinely you stole my answer. I said

We're just really in sync. Colin responded

I know we're so connected (the crowd went wild)

I ship it. Yvette said and the crowd screamed.

That was just one of the many moments we've shared. He has always made me laugh and is truly my best friend. Hopefully this won't come between us.