Chapter 13

36, 10, 5. I twisted my combination lock to open my locker. The lock opened, but the stupid locker itself wouldn't.

"Freaking school. Too poor to pay for real lockers..." I mumbled under my breath as I fumbled with my locker.

"Here, let me try," I heard a voice say. I stepped aside and let my savior, whoever it was, open my locker for me. I looked up to see Lucas, who was wearing a blue plaid shirt with dark denim jeans. It was such a simple outfit, but somehow he looked amazing in it.

"Thanks," I muttered when he got it open.

"No problem" he said. He stuffed his hands in his front pockets and looked around, a sheepish expression on his face.

"Did you need something, Lucas?" I asked.

"Huh? What?" he asked abruptly and obviously. "Uhh, no. I was just...I thought maybe I could walk you to class," he said.

"Why?" I asked, stuffing my books in my locker and pulling out some others.

"Well, we're in the same homeroom, so I just thought...you know, since we're going to the same place that we could...uh...walk together..." he said.

"Lucas, we broke up three years ago," I told him flatly, slamming my locker door shut. No, it wasn't in anger or frustration; more like it wouldn't shut all the way unless I slammed it.

Lucas narrowed his eyes slightly and looked down at his feet.

"I know," he said.

"And it was you that broke up with me," I added.

"I know, Tori," he said.

"Then what are you trying to do?" I asked.

"I'm just trying to be nice!" he exclaimed. I blinked, taken aback by his outburst. "Why are you making it so difficult?" he asked, lowering his voice as people began to stare at us.

"I'm not being difficult, Lucas. You are," I replied.

"Oh am I? And how is that?" he asked, getting defensive. He crossed his arms over his chest so that his arm muscles were more prominent. Stop staring, Tori!

"By acting like you're suddenly interested in me again," I replied.

"Who says I'm acting?" he asked. I looked at him and sighed.

"Look, I can't do this right now, ok? I have to go," I said.

"Tori, wait..." Lucas said, holding onto my wrist before I could get away.

"You have a girlfriend, Lucas," I told him.

"Layla isn't my girlfriend," he replied.

"You might want to tell her that," I mumbled as she walked right up to us. She had definitely heard us conversing and did not like Lucas' previous statement.

"Not your girlfriend?!" she shrieked, marching up to us.

"And that's my cue to go," I said, sidestepping them. Lucas gave me a wary look before I stalked off to get to homeroom. I took my seat in the back and put my head down. This year was getting more complicated than I wanted it to be.

Maya caught up to me as I walked down the hall, dragging my feet.

"Why the long face?" she asked.

"Lucas," I mumbled.

"He asked you to homecoming?!" she exclaimed, horrified. I gave her a look.

"What are you talking about?" I asked.