Seventeen

Seventeen

I sat up gasping. My heart racing, and a cold sweat coating my body. My hands clenched the blankets covering my legs, trying to calm my heart. I turned my head to the left, automatically noticing the IV drop and heart monitor that was beeping uncontrollably.

My head went to my right. Knight sat slumped in a plush black leather chair chair. His arm rested on the arm of the chair and his head rested haphazardly on his hand. His brow formed a hard 'V', his jaw clenched tight.

I smoothed the blanket on top of me out, only becoming slightly annoyed by the tugging of the IV on my inner elbow. My bones protested with any movement I made.

"Renee." I tuned my head to see Knight fully awake. His eyes bright with relief.

"Hey." I replied softly.

He quickly got up out of the chair and sat beside me on the bed. He grabbed my right hand, tracing the crescent moon on my wrist.

"How are you feeling, love?" He placed his other hand upon my forehead. It was cool, but sent an electric tingle down my back.

And you haven't mated with him yet?

I scowled at the comment.

"Renee?" He asked.

"Oh yes, yes I feel. . . not as well as I should anyways." I said with a small smile.

"You're slightly warm. I'll make sure Alexandra brings something up to help bring your fever down." He cupped my cheek, looking into my eyes.

"How long have I been out?" I asked breathlessly. His hand tightened in mine.

"You've been out for five days." I watched as he closed his eyes, not showing me the pain that my unconscious state had caused him.

"Oh Knight." I wrapped my arms around his neck, pulling him into me. "I am so, so sorry. I shouldn't have been so stupid. I should have known if you weren't in the house, then something's must have been wrong. But I was just so. . . so scared for you. But, no matter what I shouldn't have been so reckless."

If you hadn't been, I wouldn't be back. Be grateful for that.

"No, no, no. Renee, no." He sighed heavily, his arms tightening around my waist. "It is entirely my fault. As much as I hate to admit it. I should have barred the door, told you what was happening. Then maybe we could have avoided this." He placed a soft kiss onto the crook of my neck. "I just thank the Goddess that you are safe."

Oh gods. He is just so much more. . . passionate than I recall him being. I mean. He's always been passionate and protective and loving and. . . well everything. But, only after he's gotten his memories unlocked. Sweet mother, what is wrong with you?! Make a bigger move!

"Be quite." I hissed.

"I-I beg your pardon?" He asked incredulously, lifting his head from my neck.

"No, no not you." I sighed. "I'm sorry, I'm just. . . not feeling myself at the moment."

A sad smile turned the corners of his mouth up. He gently placed a loose strand of hair behind my ear.

*****

There was something off. Not in the same sense that something was necessarily bad, but something didn't seem to be the same as it was. I could feel the electric charge in the air as always when in the same room or proximity with Renee, but now there was a slight intensity to it. It had never gotten to this peak, not when we had made out in the closet, or even when I had marked her.