Three

Three

Leaning up against the door I watched as she lay in the hospital bed. The sound of her even breathing was accompanied by the annoying blips of the heart monitor, and the steady drip of her IV stuck into the crook of her left arm.

Her dark chocolate brown hair was spread out around her sleeping angelic face. Her full pink lips turned down into a frown as she slept. The rising sun shone through the windows, making the white bandages around her arm glow an unearthly white.

It pained me to see her in such a state. My mate, my love. The crescent moon bite hidden under the layers of gauze should not have caused her so much pain.

Sir, if I may, it may be because you are Alpha. The marking may be slightly different to the one receiving it.

I nodded my head, having already considered the possibility. Yet, mother had been marked in the same fashion, and as far as I knew, she had not reacted in the same manner.

"Cancel, it's a relief you found her when you did. She might be in a worse state if you hadn't. Poor girl, I told her she needed to tone it down."

I glanced to the hand resting on my shoulder, then up at the man it belonged to. My mates father. Xavier Hilton. Head Surgeon. Ordinary Human. Not much of a threat.

"Just doing my job, Dr. Hilton." He removed his hand. Nodding his head.

"Yes, yes. Of course." He made to leave the room. "Cancel, when she finally decides to wake, please contact me immediately." And then he was gone.

I nodded my head, smirking. I glanced at the bed, there was no way in hell I would allow that to happen, if anything I would be the one to talk with my Luna, my packs new alpha female, first.

Closing my eyes I went into the link with my pack. Make sure to prepare a room for your new Luna. Specifically the joined room with mine. Get her appropriate clothing. We shall be there within the next twenty-four hours.

Yes, sir. I heard several wolfs reply before disconnecting.

I raised my thumb and forefinger to the bridge of my nose. My mate needed to wake up soon. Her smell was filling the small private room. The clean and subtle flowery scent of pomegranate mixed with roses and her was driving me insane.

I could feel my wolf pulling against me, trying to get closer to her. To continue on with the mating. It was easy to resist, and easy for him to lie low. Our mate was hurt, she was in pain. Both he and I knew that it was because of us. Our mark.

He growled in the back of my head. It will never happen again. She is ours. She will be protected. She will never be harmed.

A shifting in the bed caused our internal monologues to go quiet. Quickly looking up I saw Renee moving in the bed. She was still asleep, her hair slowly becoming a beautiful tangled mess. But the frown on her face had deepened. A gasp of fear escaped her lips.

Within an instant we were there. Holding her hand, smoothing her hair out of her face. I growled at myself, not fully knowing what to do. Yet ever so slowly she calmed down. Her restlessness settling. With a sigh she tightened her hold on my hand, bringing it to her face. My wolf rumbled with content that our mate was seeking us for comfort, even if it was only in her sleep.

Sooner than later it will also be in her waking moments that she seeks our comfort.