Thirteen

Thirteen

"So, did you enjoy your shopping trip with Alex?" We were laying on the bed. Knight hadn't tried anything on me since the incident in the closet doorway. He dragged the tips of his fingers up my back, tracing designs lazily onto the exposed skin of my upper back.

"It's funny, y'know, I actually really despise any form of shopping. Yet, it was really interesting with her. She's just so. . ." I couldn't find the appropriate word to describe her so instead I waved my hand in a circular motion, as if that explained everything Alex was and what she wasn't.

Knight laughed, the vibrations shaking the bed. "I know what you mean. She's definitely something else. And, she certainly keeps Dimitri on his toes." He wrapped his hand around my waist and pulled me against him. "She's a good kid though. Strong willed. Outspoken. You two will probably become close to each other." He placed a kiss on my left shoulder.

"I think that'd be nice. I mean, I don't really know anyone here so." I turned my face to look at him. "As a matter of fact I barely know you, and we're supposed to be mates."

It was true. I didn't know this man. But, it was also true that he made me feel things no one else ever had. I felt at home in his arms, in his world. He made me feel as if I were whole, like there had been some missing price of my soul before he had come barging into my life. The only thing that bothered me about him being in my life was that the dreams that now plagued my sleep.

Unlike most children, I never had nightmares. As a matter of fact I never even really dreamed. When I slept I revisited memories. I saw my mother, before she disappeared. My father, more involved in my life as a child then when I had hit high school. But after meeting Knight I dreamt of strange creatures roaming the edges of my consciousness, and almost every night I experienced the same excruciating pain.

Despite Knights presence, even his existence, filling a void in myself I hadn't known existed, there was still a piece of me missing. The longer I was in the company of the wolves, the more it felt like this piece of me that was missing was more and more important. A shiver ran up my spine as I let my mind try to subtly dig further into my sub-conscious to figure out what it could possibly be.

I had to bite my lower lip to stop my groan of pain. I had run against a mental wall made of internal pain. I couldn't recall a time in my past that would cause me to have felt this much anguish to block of the memories of the incident. But, maybe that was the point of the wall. To stop me from remembering. What could have possibly been that awful?

"Renee?"

I opened my eyes. I hadn't even realized I had closed them. I looked into Knights questioning eyes.

"What's wrong, babe?" He placed his forehead to mine.

"I'm just. . . I don't really know." I shrugged my shoulders the best I could lying down.

"You can ask me anything, and I'll tell you anything you want to know. I hope you know that." He raised his hand and placed it against my cheek, his thumb stroking my jaw.

"I-I know that. It's just. . . well this time it isn't about you. It's-it's about me." I closed my eyes again. I didn't want to see his emotions flit across his face. Not now. "There's something horribly wrong with me." I whispered.

I barely had time to gasp before I was in Knights tight embrace. His arms circled protectively around my waist and shoulders. His head rested firmly against the top of my head. I could feel his accelerated heartbeat through his thin shirt. My hands automatically curled into his shirt, and my face buried into his neck.

Our bodies fit perfectly together. As if we were made for each other. Well, we were mates so I guess we kinda were made for each other. I could feel every inch of his hard, lithe body pressed protectively and erotically against my own.