Four

Four

I was dreaming. I had to be. There was no other explanation. My mother was dead, yet here she was, sitting in her old, favorite, flower printed chair by the fireplace. And I-I was seven years old again, innocent.

I watched myself from above, but I was also the little girl down by her mothers feet. Unshed tears clogged the back of my throat at the sight of her. She was the most beautiful person I had ever seen. Long, dark, wavy auburn hair was piled delicately on the top of her head. Her liquid golden eyes glued to the seven year old as I.... as I what?

It was as if I knew what I was doing, but it wasn't registering in my brain. As if the words to comprehend what was happening were locked behind a blurred glass door. I tried to reach through the glass, searching for a way to unlock the words that eluded me.

As I looked back to my mother my curiosity and doubts left me. Whatever I was doing was deeply upsetting her. A frown graced her graceful features, and a tear left a trail down her cheek.

"Mommy, why are you crying? Did I do something naughty?" I asked grabbing her hands in my own.

"No, sweetheart. Mom....Mommy's just really sorry." She said, picking me up off of the floor and placed me in her lap.

"Why should you be sorry, Mommy? Did
you do something naughty?" I asked innocently.

"Yes, yes I have." She began to cry harder, hugging my small frame to her own.

"It's okay. I forgive you." I said patting her head. But, that only seemed to make her cry harder.

Before she or I could say another word there was a crash as someone slammed through the back door. Gruff, deep voices could be heard as the intruders entered the kitchen. My mother stood up, and placed me in the chair before making her way into the kitchen.

"Where is she?" I heard a demanding voice.

"Please, she's still so young. Ju-just don't hurt her." She cried as they made their way into the sitting room.

"Hi!" I said as the tallest one knelt in front. "Did you come to play with me and momma?" I asked.

"No, we didn't." He replied.

"Then did you come to see my friend? I can bring her out if you want!" I said excitedly.

"Sweetie," My mother said, coming to stand by the arm of the chair. "He has to take your friend away." She said, placing a hand gently on the top of my head.

I gasped. "No, they can't take Luna. She's the only one who's nice to me besides mommy and daddy."

"We don't have a choice, baby. It has to be done. Otherwise some very bad, very mean people are going to take you away from us." She began to stroke my hair.

Before I had a chance to reply the man in front of me had picked me up. I struggled against him, trying to reach out to my mother.

"James, please. Is this really the only way to protect her?" She sobbed.

"Alice, you know this is bigger than just the safety of your daughter. It has to do with our whole race. Damn it woman, think for a minute! If we let them get her we are
all dead." He said angrily.

"Mommy, I don't want her to be taken away. She's says she'll be good. That she'll hide. She won't hurt anyone, she just wants to stay with me. Mommy," I cried as James started to carry me out of the room. "Mommy, please. We'll be good. I promise. Please." I screeched, a long forgotten howl echoing in my mind.

"I'm so sorry, baby. You'll understand when you're older. I promise." She called after me.

I felt a comforting presence as James took me out of the door. A warmth and calm spreading from my hand to encompass my entire body. I heard a faint echo of someone angrily speaking.
She will be protected. She will never be harmed.

~~~

I only remember pain. An unbearable, soul shattering pain. As if I were being skinned alive. Screaming. I was screaming. I could feel a piece of my soul being ripped away from me. The cord connecting the two pieces being sawed apart.

I woke up screaming. Tears pouring from my eyes. I was hysterical. A deep feeling of loss, betrayal, and pain lingering in my mind and body. But whatever had been taken away from me so long ago, I had no memory as to what it was.