Chapter twenty nine

Connor's POV

I've ben keeping a close eye on Rosa. Texting her constantly to make sure she's taking he meds and helping her out at work. We're on the same shift today. I have feelings for her. I know that's wrong after everything she's been through but I've known her all my life. We were born just a few days apart and we have such a special bond. I don't want to lose that bond. Her rule. To not use her mental health against her and that her friends and partners should trust her. She said to me when she made that rule that I would always be exception. No matter what happens. I just don't want to take advantage of that. I'm in my own world when Maggie shout out. 'Dr Sánchez! Dr Rhodes! Incoming! Trauma 3!' I stay put. As Rosa runs behind me she stops.

'Connor!' She shouts. I snap back to reality and follow her. We follow the paramedics into the trauma room. We listen as they tell us what happened and they run back out as they get another call. Rosa takes another look at the patient. 'It's Dr Choi!' She tells me. 

'April!' I shout out. She runs up to me. 'Get Ms Goodwin here, now! If she's in a meeting get her out of it! It's an emergency.' April nods and runs away. 'What do we do?' I ask her.

'We treat him like any other patient. No herorics.' She notifies me. Just then machines beep abnormally. 'He coding!' She says as she starts chest compressions. I run over and set up the defib pads. 'Charge to 150!' 

'Charging. Clear.' We all clear and I shock. I check his pulse. 'No pulse.' Rosa resumes compressions.

'What was so important that you had to pull me out of a meeting?' Ms Goodwin says as she walks in. She stops in her tracks and notices Dr Choi. 'What happened?' 

'Involved in a car crash. He was pulling out and a guy on cocaine crashed into him. Other driver had no injuries. Dr Choi didn't even have his seatbelt on yet.' I tell her.

'Charge to 200!' Rosa barks. I charge the defib.

'Charging. Clear.' We all clear and I shock. 'Sinus tach.' I tell the team. 'CT, whole body x-ray, CBCs, usual blood tests.' I tell them.

'Dr Sánchez, can I talk to you for a moment?' Ms Goodwin asks.

'Sure.' Rosa repsonds and walks out putting her gloves in the bin.

Rosa's POV

I walk out and into the doctor's longe with Ms Goodwin.

'Are you OK? You'll be OK treating him.' She asks.

'It's the least I could do.' I tell her.

'If it gets to much step back.' I nod. 'While you're here, I want to let you know that I've put you forward for the attending exams in 3 months time.'

'Really? I don't feel like I'm ready.' I inform her.

'You're more than ready, you've not finished your fellowship yet but I think you're ready and judging by what you're past bosses have said, you'll be a great attending.'  She tells me. 'I've also put Dr Rhodes in for it aswell so if you could let him know.'

'I will. Thank you.' I say. She nods and walks out. I head to my locker and open the door. I look at the picture of Connor and myself on our joint 16th. I laugh and take a drink of water. I close my locker and walk back to Dr Choi. 

'What was that about?' Connor asks.

'She put me in for the attending exams in a few months. She's put you in too.' I explain.

'That's great!' He exckaims as we hug. April walks in with an Ipad and hands it to me. I take a look at the x-rays.

'No fractures, internal bleeding but it looks like it's stopped. No ICP or bleeding.' I tell him. As I finish I hear Dr Choi stir. I bend down beside the bed. 'Dr Choi?' 

'What happened?' He says weakly.

'You were in a car accident.' He looks at me worried. 'Don't worry, nothing serious. You had some internal bleeding but that seems to have stopped. We're going to admit you upstairs for a few days to keep an eye on you.' 

'Thanks, Rosa, I'm sorry. For everything.' He says. 

'Yeah, just, friends.' I tell him. I get up and walk out. Moments later someone taps me on the back. I turn around. 'Connor?'

'You OK?'

'Fine.' 

'Rosa?' 

'I'm fine Connor. I can handle it. He's just another jerk.'

'He's a son of a bitch basically?'

'Yeah.' I laugh.

'Drinks later?' I nod and he walks away. Damn. I'm starting to get feelings for him but I don't want to jeporadise our friendship. Maybe I should tell him later I have feelings for him. Maybe he feels the same. I'll never know unless I ask.