Chapter nine

Connor's POV

'I was just about to ask the same thing.' I say. Rosa turns around. 'Rosa? What happened?' She hesitates. 'Did your dad do this?' She looks to the ground which is her way of saying yes when she doesn't want to talk. 'Oh Rosa.' I say as I put my hand on her shoulder. 'We should get you to the hospital.'

'No. I'm fine.' She says as she gets up.

'Rosa.'

'Connor. Leave it.'

'Dr Manning said you were in the ED earlier. Burnt arm and this.' I say then touch her face and black eye. 'Was that your dad too?' Again, she looks to the ground. 'Rosa, this has been going too long.' She pulls my hand off of her face.

'Connor. Leave it. Please.' She tells me before walking away.

'Rosa. Rosa!' I shout but she's already gone. I run out after her and as she's opening the car door I slam it shut. 'You can't keep running from things like this. You need to go to hospital.'

'Fine.' She sighs. I take her keys and drive her to the hospital. 'You need to tell the police.'

'I've lost mom. I can't lose him too.' She replies. We pull into the hospital parking lot and we sit and talk.

'Do you remember why you lost Juliana? Your dad beat her so much that she decided to end it all. By killing herself.' I remind her.

'She killed herself because of her bipolar.'

'Rosa. You can't keep denying it. Remember when you were left in a coma because you "fell" down the stairs? Remember when it got too much that you tried to kill yourself by overdosing? Do you not remember when you came running to our family because you were scared that he'd kill you?' I question her. 'The more you deny it, the more you're going to get hurt. You're my best friend. I'm not going to lose you too.' Rosa looks out the window.

'Despite everything that he's done, he's still my dad and, this is going to sound crazy to you but, I love him.'

'Rosa, this isn't love. You've been through enough abuse. 3 abusive partners since you were 20 and an abusive father. Please, just tell the police.'

'OK.' She says quietly. We get out the car and walk into ED. I text Maggie before we walked in and so she pointed to a treatment room when she saw us.

As I walked by her I mouthed, 'Police', she nods and I take Rosa into the treatment room.

Ethan's POV

I walk in the treatment room where Rosa is sitting on the bed and Connor is standing beside the bed.

'What happened?' I ask.

'My dad, he wanted booze, I told him no. He threw a glass yesterday and today pushed me onto the broken glass. I didn't have time to clear it up.' Rosa explains. Just then she gets her phone out. It appears that someone was calling her. 'Dad.'

'Answer it. Speaker.' Connor says. Rosa answers it.

'Dad?' Rosa says. Then over the phone her dad speaks.

'Rosa. I killed your mother.' He didn't sound drunk at all. Rosa put her phone down and broke down crying.

'You were right.' She says to Connor.

'Let's sort out your arm first OK?' Connor comforts her. I fell awkward because actually, I lied to her. The kiss did mean something. I'm falling for her but I don't know how to tell her.