Chapter Twenty

Rosa's POV

I walk into the ED with a big grin on my face.

'Looks like someone had a good night.' Reese smiles.

'And where's your other half?' April walks up and asks.

'Day off.' I tell her. I walk into the doctor's lounge and get changed into my scrubs. As I walk out a trauma call comes in. 2 paramedics wheel the patient in along with 2 firefighters.

'Trauma 2!' I order the paramedics and they nodded. 'What we got?' 

'Simon Johnston. 40 year old male, fallen 20ft off of a step ladder onto a metal railing.' One of the paramedics announced. 'Heart rate 160, BP 100/50, SATs 97 and GCS of 10.' By now we are in the trauma room and we lift the pateint carefully onto the bed. The paramedics walk out and I'm left with a team of nurses and the 2 firefighters.

'I'm Dawson, this is Severide.' The woman firefighter says. 'You're new to Chicago Med right?' 

'Hardly, been here a few months. Which was of you is the "man in charge"?' I asks.

'That would be me.' Severide says.

'I need the railings cut a bit shorter so we can assess the full damage. Can you do that without pushing it further through?' I question.

'How much shorter?' Dawson enquires.

'Leaving enough for me to pull it out in the OR.' 

'We can do that.' Severide nods and Dawson and himself walks out.

'Mr Johnston?' I say trying to get him concious. 'Mr Johnston! It's Dr Sánchez. Do you remember me?'

'You know him?' April asks, shocked.

'He was in not long ago with his dad.' I tell her. Then suddenly I hear a groan. 'April, can we get a femoral line in and some analgesia?' She nods. I then tell another nurse to order the routine bloods.

'What happened?' Simon groans.

'You fell from a ladder. What were you doing?'

'Painting the outside of the house.' He says rather weekly. Severide and Dawson then walk in. 'Mr Johnston, these two members of the fire crew are going to have to cut the railings a bit shorter.' He nods and I walk outside. About 10 minutes later I walk back in and Severide and Dawson walk out. 'Let's get him to CT!' I order.

'BP dropping!' April shouts.

'Scrap CT, staright to the OR, tell them we're on our way.' I bark.