~Forty One~

"Oh, my God, Eva." I whispered while lovingly gazing at her laying on the bed. She still had her eyes closed but I couldn't contain the smile that was on my face because of what had happened and how much progress she had made.

             I hadn't thought that something this marvelous would happen, especially not after the horrible day I've had dealing with the incompetent detectives and Karlie who I was seriously considering murdering, if it wasn't for the fact that she still had my child hiding somewhere I didn't know, but I swear I would find her, no matter what route I had to take, no matter what I had to do, I was going to find her.

              "So, what now?" I asked, this time, looking directly at the doctor who had been standing a few feet away while we all gathered around her hospital bed.

                "Would you like to come out so we can talk?" The silver haired shorter man asked. I looked back at Eva for a moment, lovingly looking down at her as a smile started spreading on my face. It was incredible the amount of love I had for this woman, so much so that I was ready to give my life to see to her well being,  to make sure she was healthy and safe, to make sure she would never have to go through something this horrendous again.

             It was my fault that she was on this hospital bed, my carelessness with Karlie and the whole situation has costed Eva her life and her child's life and so for that I would never forgive myself.

             This whole week has been incredibly hard for us all and not knowing how to deal with everything that was happening was becoming incredibly frustrating. I knew I needed to be strong for Eva, I knew I had to be because I knew that if I let myself be defeated, I was basically letting Karlie win.

            I should have done a better job at managing Karlie, but honestly, I just never thought she would go that extra mile. People just didn't do shit like this, and although in no way I was excusing her behavior, I should have made sure she had the help that she needed.

              The death of that baby had been really hard on her and although I had tried my hardest to be there for her, at some point, I had to put a stop to it,  to her leaning on me and needing me this much because it was causing me my relationship and that was one of the few things on this earth I refused to lose.

            Karlie was wild, but she never was one to be this vicious, this bitter and so I blame myself for that, I made her this way and in a way, It is as if I am the one who could at this point get things back to somewhat of a normal.

              I say this because I know nothing will ever be the same, Eva would forever be carrying this physical and mental scar and even if I was to pay millions to make sure that her body webt back to what it was before, she would always be scar and I would never forgive myself for that. So, I would try my damn best to make sure she forgives me and spend my whole life to keep her safe.

              Finally, I look away from Eva and nod reluctantly toward the doctor who was waiting by the door and followed him outside once he walked out. We closed the door of the room and stood a few feet away, the doctor in his white coat and glasses that weirdly made him look younger than I was sure he was.

             "So doctor, when should I expect her to fully wake up?"

              A nurse walked passed us and smiled as she made her way to the room next to Eva's. It was quiet in this part of the hospital which could either be attributed to the fact that it was night time and all visitors had left except for a very few, or simply it was because of how critical all the patients on this ward were. People really couldn't be expected to be happy when their loved ones where suffering or dying.