Chapter 15 //Gone//

I saw that you were perfect, and so I loved you. Then I saw that you were not perfect and I loved you even more.
Angelita Lim

~Kat~

'Although I don't have a ring to propose, I can only give my vow: I will love you infinitely for the rest of my life. Will you marry me?' Oh my gosh, yes, yes, yes! I mean, that's Andrew Firelight. Who wouldn't love him?

I was so shocked when he proposed. That proposal was forever branded in my brain, and it was set on replay mode now. Though as logical as I thought I was, I lost all control and well, did that. But I don't regret it. I could almost swear both of us slept with a huge grin on our faces.

I woke up because of a creak in the bed. Still smiling, I creaked an eye open, and saw Andrew (tried to) quietly get up. Well, as my boyfrie- no, husband gave me a surprise, I will do the same. I got downstairs, trying to make no sound and went to our kitchen. I rummaged in our food stack for breakfast. Squirrel...no. Bird eggs, good for omelettes... Then I saw that. A note of Priscilla's.

It wrote:

Kat, I'm sorry. If I could choose again, I wouldn't have done that. I could never say that to you, but at least that could be on a note to myself. This is a chocolate cake mix I salvaged from Dauntless compound. I plan to make this to make up for that, but if you find out my surprise first, don't throw this away. This had no label, so if for any chance you find this box,know that I'm sorry. I hope you forgive me. From Priscilla.

I felt rotten. I was so petty to Priscilla. Yes, she was wrong to try seducing Andrew, but I should have forgiven her. 'I promise I will make up for you.' I whispered.

I mixed the premade batter in a bowl with warm water and added eggs and mixed well. I beat the batter, pouring my frustration and sorrow in the batter, putting all my love and hope in baking that cake. I needed a release from my more or less rubbish life.

By the time I finished baking the cake, Andrew was already sniffing around and found out my cake. 'Hey!' I smiled to him.

We had our breakfast. Apparently, Dauntless cake makes the best breakfast. Ever. If you don't agree, you're not human. 'Let's talk about our wedding.'

I was kind of overwhelmed. Who would have thought me, the vain, nerdy girl from Erudite trying to pretend I was fearless, who would have been the Erudite leader, was now hiding in the deep woods, getting engaged with the best man ever?

Wedding seemed such a big thing once to me. It now seemed a small occasion, a natural thing which followed love. 'I want a simple ceremony. With handpicked flowers, maybe something to exchange, cake of course, which I will prepare. Oh, and lots of kisses. When shall we hold it?' 'If I'm not mistaken, it's fourth of June next week. That's when we first met. Is that a good date?'

Sure enough, we started decorating our house. Flowers and vines lined the walls, pebbles paved the way to our house, and I sewed a bit of white cloth in attempt to imitate a bridal gown. I tore pieces of our black shirts to make a tuxedo for Andrew. On that day, I baked a cake, and walked out to meet him.

There he was. I held a bunch of wild flowers. His clothes, a black simple shirt with a blue tie. Black trousers. We wore quite the opposite, but I knew- we were one. No huge ceremony was needed to prove that. 'Do you, Katherine Winters, accept me, Andrew Firelight as your husband?' 'Yes.' I said breathlessly. 'And you?' 'Of course. I promise, even if you get sick, old or anything else: today I promise you, I will laugh with you in times of joy, and comfort you in times of sorrow. I will always be with you. This is our place, our haven and our happily ever after.'

I had no words to describe what I felt. I almost forgot my vow. I took a deep breath, steadied my voice and said,' I promise: I will love you, till the end of my days. Nothing will ever separate us.'

Then happy tears flowed. We skipped together to our cottage, humming Air on G string, and dig in the wedding feast we made. We exchanged 'rings' made of small twigs and grass, and smiled contentedly to each other.

I was wed. I was no longer Katherine Winters, but Katherine Firelight, fearless and strong, ready to put the past away and have a beautiful family here, away from the factions, happily ever after.

After our wedding day, I felt something was bothering me. 'Priscilla.' I wasn't aware how much she weighted on us, and we could not let go. 'Andrew, can we go to the Chasm and let Priscilla go? Please?'

Naturally, my husband agreed. We wore hoodies to hide ourselves. We started our journey to the faction boundaries. When it was dark at night, we ran to Amity soil. There were no guards at that area, and we ran quickly. With nostalgia, I hopped on the Dauntless train, maybe for the last time. I'd never have the chance: I'd be far in the wild.

We reached the Dauntless compound entrance. I remembered this place: it was where I first met him. I silently said farewell to it, and jumped. Andrew followed. We walked to the Chasm, reminiscing the past times. I opened the box and scattered her ashes. 'Good bye, Priscilla. May you rest in peace.'

Then the shouting began.

QOTC: What will happen next? (Next chapter will be the second to last chapter 😭)

Bye for now!
~Kat