Chapter 10 //Suicide//

Maybe all the strings in him broke.

John Green, Paper Towns

~Andrew~

I saw as Kat shot herself for her family and us. She defied the simulation. She did it noble reasons, but she might have exposed herself as Divergent...

She stood up, pale as a ghost. We'd most likely revealed myself as Divergent, but I couldn't care less. I felt weak, and I could tell- she felt the same. When Amar released and told us we would choose our jobs tomorrow, I was glad to throw myself to the dorm and sleep.

'This year, we have received a batch of high quality initiates. They fight well, face their fears bravely and conquered them now. We believe that cowardice is to blame for the world's injustices. But more than that, we believe in freedom from fear, in denying fear the power to influence our decisions. We believe in ordinary acts of bravery, in the courage that drives one person to stand up for another.' I smiled faintly, as Amar spoke. I do, indeed, believe in these ideals. This is what Dauntless is- bravery, and defending the week. Amar surveyed the applauding crowd smugly for a moment, readjusted his cocky posture, and called over the din, 'Well, eloquence is for the Erudite. And now we reveal the rankings!' He swept his arms grandly, and showed the screen behind.

***

1) Andrew
1) Kat
3) James
4) Marlene
5) Andy
6) Lynn
7) Zeke
8) Kieran
9) Tori
10) Chris

Eliminated:

11) Priscilla
12) Audrey
13) Smoke
14) Ash

***

'And now, the Job Choosing will commence!' Lauren said solemnly, after the room silenced, and the eliminated sent away.

'This year, we have a double first in initiation, so they'll choose together.' Lauren gave us an nod. Kat and I stepped simultaneously forward, at the circle on the floor, savouring our moment of triumph. A panel rose from the floor in front of us, and it was projected on the Pit wall for all of the others to read. Since we were choosing together, the panel split into two. I stared mine. Since I was first, I had the most selections. I read:

***

1) Dauntless Leadership Training :2 spots

2) Initiation trainer :1 spot

3) Security Force leader :3 spots

...

6) Fight entertainer : 2 spots

7) Tattoo artist :1 spot

7) Doctor/ Nurse: unlimited spots
10)Fence patrol : unlimited spots

*Note: The number in front (e.g.: 1) ) mean the rank needed to apply so for example, Fence patrollers are for rank 6 or above. The number behind the job means the number available.

***

I smiled and pressed the button along with Katherine. Dauntless leader: what I wanted to be since I was young. Kat: she knew what I'd choose and followed me. Besides, she'd always wanted to lead Dauntless and cure its flaws.

Soon the rest chose. I was quite surprised when Andy and Marlene chose Doctoring. They never showed interest in that before. I shrugged. I assumed they wanted to be together like Kat and I. 'We believe in acknowledging fear and the extent to which it rules us.' We recited the Manifesto and left to our respective posts.

Dauntless leadership training was rigid: We had to learn computer hacking, security, healing, and almost all the jobs. Kat was a breeze in everything and had to teach me most things slowly. It was hard but worthwhile. After a year, we'd replace Max and Lana as leaders. Since anyone first in initiation can apply leadership, they chose leaders in training selectively. They foul candidates each year. But Max let slip they'd retire this year, so we'd definitely be leaders. I was so excited that I kissed Kat on the face as we heard the news.

We ran laps at 7 each morning, ate breakfast at 8, had training from Malena, as we called them, and after having lunch, did surveillance and fight trainings. After that, we had free time. I was exhausted and crashed to bed every night.

I woke up to sirens wailing. I shot up immediately. It must be a suicide- rare after the job choosing. I ran to the chasm uneasily. Years ago, my sister died the same way. Now I felt obliged to acknowledge the deaths.

I found Kat and watched the haul of the corpse together. Suddenly, she screamed 'Mar!', ran over there, and knelt at her friend's body. I wondered: Why would she die? She was dating, happy and had loads of friends. She'd passed initiation. She had one of the fastest times- closely behind Kat. Unless.... she was like us. Divergents. The Erudite won't stop killing Divergents. 'Kat. Let's go.' I whispered urgently.

Once we were out of earshot, I whispered warily,' I think Erudite is hunting down Divergent now. We should run.' She was aghast. 'Where!' she exclaimed. 'Erudite is everywhere. We'll die. We should stay as Dauntless leaders, so no one will suspect.' I hissed impatiently, 'We should go anywhere, except the factions. Don't you see? They're chasing us already, and killed one already. Marlene.' She gasped, as if she didn't know. But well, she was in grief. 'Very well. Let's go.'

'Going somewhere?' A snicker sounded behind us. All the five leaders were suddenly behind us. Dread filled my body.

It turns out the Dauntless leaders knew we were Divergents early on, and bided their time. After killing Mar, they lured us to run and caught us.

Two guards handcuffed us in front, another two blindfolded us, while the others held guns to our head, the cold barrel reminding us every second. However slim the chance of escaping, I counted every twists and turns to help us flee. Left... Left... Right...

After countless turns, we were pushed in a room. There they told us to wait for execution. Our blindfolds were removed, but they did not bother to remove our ties. I was fearful: I am so young, and still want to live as there are many things waiting for me to try. Our hands were bound, and there were guns all around: how do we escape?

When they left, I started to look around. There were multiple cameras, so I sat down and tried to make Kat relax by humming our song. When she finally relaxed, I gave her a peck on the cheek, I whispered, 'Believe me, I am thinking of a way to escape tonight. I love you.' She whispered back. 'I know.' Then we pulled apart. We could only tell our plans to each other between kisses and embraces to avoid the suspicion of the lipreader. I didn't sleep for the whole night, waiting for the right time for us to escape.

***

Question:

Do you think Kat and Andrew will die or escape?

Update- right on time. (Chickie001 you can stop going crazy. Yeah, this is Kat writing Viola's A/N (and her chapter)

Bye for now!
~Kat

Everyone enjoy!
~Viola