Chapter 1 //Fearless//

Becoming fearless isn't the point. That's impossible. It's learning how to control your fear, and how to be free from it.

Veronica Roth

~Andrew~

Today was the day of the aptitude test. But I feel no fear. From the moment I was born in Dauntless, I knew I was destined to be one of them, or die trying. As I walked to the city center, laughing with my fellow Dauntless, I had never felt more happier. I would be able to confirm my belonging to Dauntless. Tomorrow, I will choose Dauntless, and I will be free forever.

~Time Lapse~

I strided in the room, where an Abnegation sat.I sat went forward and quickly sat on the chair ,I said impatiently, 'Do whatever you want! Hurry up!' Then I felt the alcohol wipe on the side of my neck and stiffened. I felt a prick and everything went into darkness.

I stayed still impatiently for a long time, and when I was finally able to see, I saw two pieces of land in front of me to choose, a wasteland and a greenland. 'Choose!' There was a mechanic voice behind me. I just went to the greenland without any hesitation , for there were animals and plants everywhere with a view of nature,and all the people were very happy.

Suddenly I heard a little boy shouting for help, I followed the sound and I saw a pack of wolf were trying to attack the boy. I reached for my blade , hidden in my shirt, rushed forward and killed them all.

Then the scene changed. A woman came forward and slapped me hard, screaming, 'You imbecile , you stole all my money and and now I have nothing left! 'I stayed calm and told her 'Hey, I think you have misunderstood something, I didn't steal your money, and I had just arrived.' By then, I knew I was busted, but I was Dauntless and I won't back down and hurt my pride. But then the money was found at last in my pocket and I was arrested.

The scene changed yet again. I was in a dog training center and I was ordered to train a crazy dog. I used whatever I had learnt from books before: I avoided eye contact with the dog and petted it, trying not to flinch in disgust. It still howled and reared, but then the scene turned dark again.

I opened my eyes and calmly asked the test administrator, 'Tell me my result.' She looked around and knelt down, just at the same level as mine, whispering, 'Your result is inconclusive. Your aptitudes are for Dauntless, Amity, Abnegation, and Erudite, but definitely not Candor, since you refused to speak the truth. We call people like you... Divergents.' she said the last word even softer. 'Don't tell anyone about your result. It will endanger you. '

She stood up and clapped a hand on my shoulder, saying, 'Andrew, choose the faction you think that is most suitable for you, and never regret what you have chosen. Good luck to you tomorrow.'

~time lapse~

The day for the Choosing Ceremony finally arrived. I was woken up forcefully by my dad. He helped me to dress smartly and assured me that I will be okay with the Choosing. In fact, I was expected to be. After all, I was a natural Dauntless in his eyes.

Then I was sent to the hall of the Choosing by my parents. I stood with my fellow Dauntless in the ceremony. Although I am sure of what faction I will be choosing, I felt nervous. 'Andrew Firelight'. As soon as my name was called by Katarina Winters, the Erudite leader, to go up to choose my faction, I took a deep breath and walked out, hoping I seemed confident to the others.

I arrived the stage. I surveyed the five bowls: my decision apparent to myself. I firmly cut my left palm and let my blood spill upon the coal.

'Andrew Firelight, Dauntless!' I heard the people of my faction crying out for me and soughing to welcome me, I look at my father and he smiled at me and gave me a thumbs-up. We do not believe that any other virtue is more important than bravery. I smiled to myself and went to line up with the one who have chosen Dauntless.

After the ceremony ends, I followed the crowd and ran on the train to get to the Dauntless compound. Those who can't get on the train will end up Factionless. I was not worried at all, because I have been training for this moment. Since I was young, I can run fast and my physical strength is really good, I got on the train easily. As soon I got on the train, I met my best friend Andy. We high-fived and sat down on the floor and started talking nonsense. When the train slowed down as it arrived the Dauntless compound, we jumped off the train and landed perfectly, with a rollover to impress the transfers.

A man shouted, 'Initiates , you will become Dauntless officially once you jump down.'

An Erudite transfer immediately ran out and jumped. I had to admit, she was kind of hot and had guts. Although I am terrified of heights, I don't want to be the last jumper, so I took a deep breath and jumped after the Erudite transfer.

After all of us have jumped down, we gathered around in two group, Dauntless-born and transfers. 'I am Three, I will be your instructor from today onward and continue our regular training.' said the girl standing on the edge who looked about nineteen years old.

At that moment, I had already decided that I have to be the best of all the Dauntless, I have to hide all my fears and become the fearless one.

To become the best, I've tried my very best in everything, and I followed all orders given by Three. I punched until my knuckles bled. I was determined to win everyone in fights.

And I will.

***

Question:

What do you think of Andrew?

Everyone, hope you like Andrew and this chapter, enjoy! 😊

Viola