Ch.6 Crystal Clear

Two months later

"You big fatty," I lie in the moonlight on the carpet with Mr. Fox, my head by his as we gaze into each other's eyes, "Do you even know how fast you grow? You eat all the time."

Mr. Fox purrs loudly and reaches out a paw until it touches my cheek. I'm already giggling like an idiot. Gosh, I love him so much. He made me smile, he was so affectionate and not all cats were as affectionate as him.

"Who needs men, when I have my favourite kitten in my life –" Mr. Fox is startled, as am I, when my phone rings on the carpet by my head.

I reach for it, hands quick as lightening. A call just before the huge charity party for Theo's return could be an emergency of some kind –

My eyes widen at the caller ID.

Thank god, it's my best friend, Rhea.

I thought it might have been someone else...

"What's up, homie?" I answer, grinning.

"Are you ready? I'm outside. It's freezing, bloody Melbourne weather, oh my god, it just started to pour –"

"I can hear it –"

"Hurry up! I barely have shelter, let's go."

"I think I'll just lie a little longer on the floor, thank you very much," I whine into the phone, nerves just surfacing now under my skin. They were slowly shattering my wall of self-assurance I had built up over the last two months. It had been so long since I had felt so rattled. I knew why, however.

Theo's return... I was so bloody nervous to see him.

"You can't avoid your boss forever, come on, get up off the floor. You have me anyway."

"I know... but Rhea," I try to think of an excuse to delay it, "What if he's a jerk to me?"

"Then ignore him and talk to me. He'll be too busy talking and catching up with everyone anyway. Now get your ass up off that floor and come outside."

"Heh... okay... I'm getting up."

"Are you even dressed?"

"Yes... oh shit, I don't have a jacket to match the dress though. I didn't think it'd be raining tonight."

"Do you forget we live in Melbourne, girl? This weather is as indecisive as your thoughts on your hunky boss... one moment you're excited for his return, the next you want to avoid him at all costs. Don't worry, it's a quick walk, now hurry up."

Psshhh, did I really ever call him hunky? Yeah... yeah I did.

"Alright. On my way!"

****

Crystal clear

Just about as soon as I'm inside the reception hired out for this charity ball for Theo's return, I'm literally whisked away from Rhea. I see her fade into the distance, we both lock eyes over the crowd of guests and she rolls her eyes at my look of distress.

An usher was taking her to a different table.

I felt like I was being forcibly removed from my last defence of my emotional safety. My best friend was gone, out of reach.

This was bad.

"Um, excuse me," I try to get in front of the usher, "I thought I was on her table –"

"Last minute changes," the usher snaps at me, he seems flustered because so many people were arriving at once.

I'm utterly confused what is going on, so I follow while I look around at how busy it has become.