Chapter Fifty-Six: Shift

AHSOKA TANO

The betrayal Kaylira was projecting out into the Force crushed Ahsoka's heart into a thousand tiny pieces. She watched as her Padawan sank to her knees, and she so desperately wanted to reach out to her, to tell her everything was going to be okay and that they could go back home to Cialone... But she knew she couldn't.

The certainty that there was only one course of action she could allow herself to take filled her with a sort of pain she couldn't quite describe. Zannah had to leave Kaylira's body, and at this point in time, it was looking like that would have to be done using force.

But raising arms against Kaylira was like raising arms against her family.

She's your Padawan, one half of her conscience yelled. What's left in there of Kaylira is depending on you! You can't let her die; you have to save her!

"But how can I ever save her from herself?" the other half whispered aloud.

Suddenly, the hurt look that made Kaylira's alien yellow and red eyes look almost like those of a frightened girl faded away, leaving nothing but cold, all-encompassing hatred its place.

"So this is how it has to end," Kaylira whispered, rising slowly to her feet. With deliberate slowness almost akin to regret, she took Ahsoka's old lightsaber from its place on her belt, holding it loosely in her right hand. She closed her eyes for a moment, taking consolation in her own thoughts.

Or, as Ahsoka realized, perhaps in the thoughts of someone else...

But the notion occurred to her too late to block a wall of energy in the Force as it surged, invisible yet completely tangible, towards her. Kaya Ti and Padme were knocked one way and Ahsoka the other, and she winced as she landed awkwardly on one arm, her beskar plating digging into her skin.

But there was no time to contemplate the dull ache in her arm, or that of her other wounds that still throbbed even more painfully. She rolled to the side just as Kaylira leapt forward, igniting her lightsaber and slashing the ground where Ahsoka had been only moments before.

Ahsoka glanced over at the vicious cut in the ground, its edges still steaming from the heat of her apprentice's blade. It was clear that Kaylira wouldn't be holding herself back.

As if to back up her thoughts, Kaylira suddenly reached out with the Force, summoning Bane's lightsaber from where it lay beside his lifeless body. She ignited both blades – one green, one crimson – and twirled them effortlessly into a form of Jar'Kai eerily similar to her own.

Of course, Ahsoka thought suddenly, logic suppressing her emotions for a moment. She's trying to use what I taught her against me, with the help of her new powers in the Dark Side of the Force... But she hasn't considered that she's not even close to finished her training – even with her new powers, I think I might be able to get the upper hand if I use advanced techniques only.

As Kaylira lunged again, Ahsoka twisted away, her white blades arcing out to strike at her back. But they were met easily only moments later.

Kaylira pushed forward, her sabers a mere blur of green and red against Ahsoka's white ones. Strike after strike was met and deflected easily on Ahsoka's part, but, unlike Kaylira, she was fighting with multiple injuries, and had no idea how long her strength would truly last.

"Ahsoka!" Padme called as Master and apprentice locked blades. Ahsoka turned towards the sound of her friend's voice, and caught sight of Padme and Kaya Ti running towards her, their lightsabers ablaze and ready to reinforce her. "Just hang on, we're co–"