Chapter Forty-Five: A Bad Feeling

*The guy in that picture is Dane Adji, a character that makes his first appearance in this chapter. Now go forth, my minions, and read the update I have prepared for you!*

AHSOKA TANO

The next evening, Lux, Ahsoka, Captain Jattson and Kaya Ti were preparing to leave the White Saber for the meeting with Lux's subordinates in the management of IronFist. Although Ahsoka was worried Kaylira's behavior, which was becoming increasingly more unlike the girl she had known, she had other things she needed to focus on: and one of those was making sure the New Jedi Order was clothed and fed.

"Master, I want to come."

But clearly, the Force didn't want her to stop worrying just yet.

Ahsoka turned around, her blue eyes immediately meeting the mauve ones that belonged to her apprentice. But even in the slowly fading light of the sunset, the girl's eyes caught all the light available and shone too brightly.

Kaylira's lips compressed into a tight line. "Please let me come."

"You said that like a command, not a question," Ahsoka said, raising an eyebrow. "But yes, you may."

The young Padawan began walking back to where the others stood waiting, but Ahsoka stopped her before she could get too far. "Remember your place, young one. You are not a Jedi yet."

Her eyes narrowed fractionally, and she smoothed out an invisible crease in her robes with her hand. "Yes, Master."

As Kaylira left, Ahsoka felt a gentle, familiar presence brush up against hers. A moment later a pair of arms wrapped themselves around her waist from behind, and Lux tucked his chin over her right shoulder.

"You're stressing too much," he muttered.

"Well, you're certainly very perceptive," she retorted, her voice heavy with sarcasm. She put her hands over his on her hips, staring off past the ship and the small group of people gathered just outside it at the beautiful sunset.

He brushed a kiss against her lekku. "Well I should hope so, because I've been married to you for nearly ten years."

Although the way he spoke was lighthearted and caring, and he wasn't offended, Ahsoka knew that not apologizing to the man she loved more than anything for a snippy comment like that was wrong. "I'm sorry, sweetie," she whispered, twisting around to pull him into a hug. "I didn't mean that. I just... I get irritable when I have a lot on my mind."

"Or when you haven't slept in four days." Lux silenced her attempts to deny his statement with a look, his eyes boring into hers. "I know, Ahsoka. You can't keep it from me. You're always right here–" he paused for a moment to gesture to his side, "–curled up next to me when you sleep, because I've been your heater for as long as I can remember and you like staying warm. When you're awake, you're further away."

"Your logic is flawed," she informed him.

"And you've said it many times that I'm a light sleeper. When I wake up halfway, I check." He smirked. "Also, you're wearing makeup to cover the circles. Amni gets you the latest products every year for your birthday, but try as she might, you never wear makeup."

"Damn you." She tucked her face into the crook of his neck. For a moment, she was quiet, but soon she could no longer resist the urge to ask him a question: "Well, is it noticeable?"

"Only to me."

"Of course." Ahsoka smiled at him, then, gently pulled away. "Well, we'd better get going. Dane isn't going to wait on us forever."