Chapter Nineteen

Fallon smiled when she cracked her eyes open. Three weeks of total freedom were theirs thanks to the winter break, and she couldn’t wait to see what they held. With no school to worry about, she’d get her first real taste of what their life would be like when they left school behind for good. That was a day that couldn’t come fast enough for her, and the last three weeks hadn’t helped. They’d been a complete and total bore.

Either Christian was still in the planning stages of what he was up to, or he’d given up on the idea of having it out with them this year. For the last few weeks, he’d kept quiet. Once in a while, Fallon would catch him giving her this weird look she would’ve sworn was regret or longing. Whatever it was, he stayed silent.  Even Minos left her alone, but that one was easier to explain. No doubt he’d been a little freaked out by Seth’s threats. Considering he hadn’t bothered to fight back, it didn’t take a genius to figure out he wasn’t anywhere near the threat she once thought he might be.

As she lay nestled between the twins, she stared at the ceiling. She really should get up and go for her daily jog, but she didn’t feel like it. Skipping one day wasn’t going to turn her into the fatso she used to be. Then again, skipping one day was how it started. Ellen always warned her about the dangers of falling out of her exercise routine. Thoughts of Ellen brought up the memory of her and Simeon in his study on Thanksgiving. Fallon heaved a sigh and wondered if she’d ever reach a point where she stopped thinking of that. Hoping to clear her head, she started to slide from the bed when she was stopped by the grasp of Griffin’s hand on her arm.

“Sorry to wake you. I was just going to take a quick run.”

“Don’t; stay in bed with us instead.”

She didn’t offer any resistance when he pulled her back with them. Since Lucian was still sleeping, she turned to face Griffin. “What do you want to do today?”

Griffin smiled. “Why do I get this feeling you already have something in mind?”

“I don’t, but I think it would be fun to go somewhere or do something.”

“Where do you want to go?”

“I don’t know, but I want to go somewhere fun, some place where we don’t have to worry about who’s watching us and trying to figure out what we’re hiding.”

Lucian rolled to his side and snaked his arms around Fallon’s waist. “I’m in.”

“Okay, so where do we go?” Griffin repeated.

“What about the beach?” Fallon suggested.

“The beach?” they echoed.

The look of disdain on Griffin’s face was no doubt the same one Lucian wore. She could hear it in their voices. Even without reading their minds, she knew what they were thinking.

“I don’t mean for swimming. It’ll be too cold for that,” Fallon said. “I just thought it might be fun to walk on the shore and look for sea shells and then play some games on the pier and stuff. Ooh, then we could have lunch and do some shopping.”

“Shopping?” Griffin cried. “That sounds like the most fun ever, doesn’t it, Loosh?”

“Almost as much fun as getting tortured by Jesus freaks,” Lucian joked.

“Forget it then,” Fallon snapped and bounded off the bed. “I’ll just call Daphne and Ava and see if they want to go with me, and you guys can stay here and play with each other.”

Both boys sat up and reached for her hands. “We’re kidding, Fallon.”

“It’s fine,” Fallon lied and pulled free from their grasp. “If the girls don’t want to go, I can always go alone, but you don’t have to go.”