Chapter Twelve

Fallon frowned when Lucian pulled in front of the school on Monday morning. Their friends were already clustered on the sidewalk, which meant she and Griffin wouldn't be able to walk to her first class. She did her best to put on a smile as they emerged from Lucian's car.

"Hey," Ava called and then giggled as she looked from Lucian to Griffin. "I swear I can't get used to you two dressing like Tweedle Dee and Tweedle Dum."

"I know right," Daphne agreed. "When's the last time they dressed alike?"

"I think it was in kindergarten," Seth said.

Tarilyn drew her eyebrows together. "Really? Then why are you doing it again now that you're almost eighteen?"

Daphne broke into a sly smile. "Good question, Tarilyn. Why is it that you guys are dressing alike?"

"For the same reason you screw everything in pants," Lucian retorted. "We like the attention."

Daphne's smile was replaced with a scowl. "I swear you get to be a bigger prick every year."

"I get to have a bigger what?" Lucian laughed and then traded high fives with Griffin.

"How was your weekend?" Fallon changed the subject.

"It was great. We had a girls only sleepover at Ava's house," Daphne answered.

They had a sleepover without her. Those bitches! Ava had the decency to blush, but it didn't diminish the anger simmering in Fallon's gut.

"We would've invited you, but we figured Lucian wouldn't give you permission to go out on a Saturday without him," Daphne continued with a hard stare at Lucian.

"It wasn't that great anyway," Ava said.

"I thought it was fun," Tarilyn said and then turned pink when Ava glared at her.

When the first bell rang, they joined the flood of students moving toward their first period classes. Though Ava and Daphne parted ways with them before they reached the north hall, Tarilyn still hung on like a piece of gum stuck to the bottom of their shoes. If it wasn't for the fact that she'd been invited to a sleepover that excluded her, Fallon wouldn't have been so bothered by her. It was as if Ava and Daphne were fazing her out, or worse, replacing her with Tarilyn. Why else didn't she get invited?

"What better way to talk about you than behind your back?" Lucian said.

Tarilyn frowned at him. "What?"

"I was talking to Fallon."

"Oh."

"You really think that's why?" Fallon asked.

"You'd be right," Seth said.

Tarilyn deepened her frown but kept quiet.

"Too bad we can't find out for sure," Fallon said.

Lucian offered her a smile. "Sure we can."

"How? We can't go where we haven't been," Fallon reminded him.

"We can if we do it together," Griffin explained.

They were approaching the first period economics class Fallon shared with Seth and Tarilyn. When she and the twins paused in the hallway, she frowned to see Tarilyn stop as well.