The Unholy Trinity III: The Final Battle

“Fallon, you have to help me.”

            If she didn’t know her friend so well, Fallon would’ve been worried by the urgency in Daphne’s voice. Having known her almost three years, she was used to the approach of the apocalypse tone Daphne adopted whenever she needed a favor.

            “What’s up?” Fallon asked.

            “You remember Donavan Chase?”

            “The football player you’ve been talking about all summer?”

            “Donavan Chase isn’t just any football player. He’s the hottest player on the team.”

            “And what’s the hottest football player on the team got to do with you needing my help?”

            “I invited him to a pool party tomorrow.”

            “You don’t even have a pool.”

            “I know, but Lucian does.”

            At the mention of his name, Fallon glanced over at him. Lucian lay in the lounge chair beside her. Though he wore a pair of swim trunks, she knew he wouldn’t be swimming that day. Lucian didn’t like to swim. The only reason he even came to the pool with her and Griffin was to hang out with them. From the hungry way his eyes always lit on her when she and Griffin horsed around in the water, she suspected Lucian was living vicariously through Griffin.

            Griffin suddenly popped out of the water and hoisted himself onto the ledge of the pool. From behind the tinted lenses of her sunglasses, Fallon watched as water streaked down his perfect body. If it wasn’t for the cell phone pressed to her ear, she would’ve licked the trail of water snaking its way down his chest and heading toward his abdomen. When Griffin flashed her a grin, she knew he’d read the thoughts in her mind. She offered him a demure smile as he sauntered toward her.  

            “Fallon, are you listening?” Daphne demanded.

            “I’m listening,” Fallon lied.

            “Does that mean you’ll help me convince Lucian to have a pool party tomorrow?”

            “You know he probably won’t go for that.”

            “He will if you ask him. He’ll do anything for you.”

            “Maybe, but I don’t like using him.”

            “Come on. You owe me. I’ve let you use me as your alibi all summer.”

            Daphne seemed to be forgetting her place. As the soul mate of the sons of Satan, it was Fallon who ruled and Daphne who served. If Fallon wanted to use Daphne as her alibi, that was her right. They were friends though, and Daphne did come through for her. Whenever she wanted to spend the night with Lucian and Griffin, she always told her mom she was staying at Daphne’s house and Daphne never once bitched about the way Fallon used her.

            Drops of water fell onto Fallon as Griffin came to stand over her. Staring at his flawless form softened her. “I’ll see what I can do.”

            “You’re the best friend ever,” Daphne squealed.

            “I didn’t say it would happen. I said I’ll try.”

            “That’s as good as making it happen. Call me back after you talk to Lucian.”

            Fallon tapped the end call button on her phone and slipped it under the cushion of her lounge chair. “You’re making me wet,” she said as she looked up at Griffin.