Chapter Eleven

“Are you sure we should be doing this?”

            After what Seth told them yesterday, Fallon wasn’t so sure it was a good idea for her and Griffin to be walking around holding hands and kissing for others to see.

            “They don’t think the three of us are together. They think you’re cheating.”

            Bitches, Fallon thought and narrowed her eyes.

            Griffin laughed. “You think maybe you could loosen the death grip on my hand?”

            Fallon didn’t even a crack a smile as she opened and closed her fingers laced through his. There was nothing funny about this. At least he still had Seth for a friend. Her best friends thought she was a two timing slut. She didn’t have any real friends left.

            Outside her first period class, Griffin pulled her into his arms. “You have me and Loosh,” he whispered. “Nothing will ever change that.”

            The reminder melted some of her anger, but it didn’t take away that tiny bit of sadness lurking in her heart. Senior year was supposed to be the best year of high school. They were supposed to be having the time of their lives instead of fighting for them. Why couldn’t everyone just leave them alone?

            “Soon all of this will be behind us,” Griffin said.

            Soon wasn’t soon enough for her. It was only the second week of September. School didn’t let out until the second week of June. They still had nine more months of looking over their shoulders. Only now they weren’t just watching for what the God Squad would do. They were watching out for their friends or rather the people who were supposed to be their friends.

            Griffin wrapped his arms around her waist. “Come here, and I’ll tell you something that will make you feel better.”

            “I’m here,” she murmured.

            “I dreamed about us last night.”

            “What’d you dream?”

            “I think you know,” he whispered and then brushed his lips against hers.

            Fallon’s knees would’ve buckled if it wasn’t for the steady hold he had on her. Even after their lips came apart, it took a moment before she could pull herself together enough to go into her first period classroom. Seeing Seth already in his seat reminded her of yesterday’s humiliation.

            “What’s up?” he asked when she passed him without a word.

            “Go ahead and say it if you want to.”

            “Say what?”

            “You think I’m a slut.”

            “Doesn’t matter what I think, but if you really want to know that’s not it.”

            “Okay, I’ll ask. What do you really think?”

            Seth looked deep into her eyes. I think you’re more important than any of us ever knew, and I think you’re really brave to be able to handle all of this. And I swear on my life I’ll die for you if I have to.

            If she didn’t think it would’ve started another rumor, she would’ve hugged Seth. The twins were right. He was the best confidante the three of them could have.