16. Who are you?

16. Who are you?

Tessa's POV

 "Hello, this is-" I start only to be interrupted as usual by the world's favourite client.

"-Tessa, seriously when are you going to save my number? Or acknowledge that it is me?" He asks, mocking my forgetfulness to check the caller ID. Honestly, I know it's him but it's a joke, right?

 "How about, never? I'm never going to do that, plus you're the only one besides Chelsea who calls me on a daily basis." We both chuckle at my pathetic little joke but would it have come out of my mouth if it was genuinely funny?

"I'm going to ask you something weird," he mutters but if it wasn't weird it would be our conversations either, right? "Who are you? Who are you, Tessa?"

What kind of a question is that? "What? I'm Tessa, I've always been Tessa!" What the heck is going on lately, he's been acting out since that guy showed his face again.

"I know but... who are you?" What is up with him? We've been talking for so long, what does he even mean by that. I'm the same, exact person I've been from day one. The same damn one since I was nothing but a little fetus in my mum's womb!

"I mean," he pauses, again, leaving me without an answer, for now at least. "You're the person that basically listens to and knows my every thought, wish and dream yet I don't know much things about you. Yeah sure you have a dog, you're in high school and Chelsea is your best friend. You think people who think popularity during high school is everything in life are idiots and that you are looking forward to your future and who will be working for who, you're determined, nice, sweet, genuine but I don't know what goes on inside your head. I don't know much besides the obviously and small details about you, you know my entire world."

I don't know about to say, I open my mouth only to then close it. This process is repeated a couple thousand times but then there's a 'sorry' and he hangs up on me. 

"What. The. Actual. Fudge. Just. Happened?" I mutter slower than I've ever said anything.

Seriously, what the heck just happened? This is a first I didn't want to have. Having someone hang up on you is never a good experience but having someone who really needs help hang up on someone whose job is to help others and prevent worst-case scenarios from happening is bottom line awful.

I have to call him back but I can't move. I just stare at the phone without being able to do the right thing, without even breathing properly. I've never been this paralysed by anything, it's not a pleasant feeling at all.

When I am finally able to move an inch or two, my mobile starts buzzing again. James was calling back, as I gain back control over my body I immediately answer his call.

"James!" I let out, relieved that he hasn't abandoned me or done something stupid that he would regret later.

"I'm sorry," he breathes out, I think he's crying. His breathing is off, he is stuttering, I can't think of any other reason why he would be like this except crying. I hope it's not because of me but, at the same time, it would be easier to handle if it was me. The problem would be easily fixed and he could stay mad and I would understand and give him time. "I-I'm sorry, I don't know what happened... I let it get out of hand, I need help."

He is right, I can't be much help to him. I'm not trained for this kind of issues, only minor ones. "James, I am not saying this to stop talking to you but I'm asking you this for your own good. Have you considered getting professional help? I know you once said you did think about it but didn't want it, instead, you called the helpline after months of being pushed to it by your family and your friends. You should really consider it," he really should, it would only do him good.