24. Writing Assignments

This chapter is an old one that I decided to resuscitate, it was removed a few months ago while 'editing' and finally is staying for good. Please make sure to vote if you liked it and comment your opinion, also, let me know if you recognise it!

James' POV

It was Monday morning, 9:27 am to be precise. Everyone was practically asleep, even the teacher yawned every once in awhile despite her best attempts not to. Paper planes flew through the classroom, high in the air, with little notes attached as if the students and my classmates, who are supposedly my equals, were looking to revive carrier pigeons. 

I stopped doodling for a second and stared at my notebook. Every page was doodled on; every single one had, at least, some kind of drawing on its margins. Perhaps I should stop for a second and try to listen to the teacher until an idea on what to draw next pops into my head...

I looked up and noticed the guy in the seat in front of mine had his head on the desk and was sound asleep, not even caring for the detention notice that had already been written for him. Surprisingly everyone who wasn't too busy sleeping was hearing the teacher's every word, some even took notes. I used to be like those people, even if I monkeyed around sometimes.

Mrs Todd wasn't like my other teachers, she's nice and she actually cared about us and how we were doing, both grade and emotion wise. I suspected that she's in her early 40s, late 30s at best. She was quite of pretty. If I was a girl I would probably pay a lot of attention to her outfit, it was a simple beige cardigan with a white dress shirt and black slacks. I didn't think it looked bad on her, it kind of made her look good, skinnier and shapes her waist. And no, there's nothing bad with a little attention to detail nor does it necessarily link to loss of masculinity.

"I've got to focus," I mumbled to myself.

And so I did, 20 minutes into the class... Luckily, I was just in time because, just few moments later, Mrs Todd began announcing our next assignment.

"Students," she begins, "today I would like to make a different approach. I would like you to write an essay on something rather serious." She said as she began walking back toward her desk and grabbed the biggest book she had on it, a dictionary, an old Oxford edition with crumpled pages. She continued her speech as she walked toward my row, "and that means," she took a break and then swiftly lifted her arms and dropped the old dictionary as fast as possible, allowing it to make a loud bang against the sleeping guy's desk, startling the crap out of him.

Everyone jumped ever so slightly due to the it, said noise was actually dissipated energy. I found myself mentally thanking Physics for the unnecessary piece of information while my heart slowly went back into its normal pace. Everyone then started laughing at his reaction, his jump, his squeal and the priceless look on his face.

"As I was saying," she resumed her announcement as she dropped the dictionary back onto her desk, allowing it to make yet another bang, but this time a much smaller one. "Today you will write an essay on something deep that affects a lot of youngsters like yourselves."

At that moment, I got suspicious, 'affects youngsters like yourselves'? Why did I feel like this is somehow related to me?

My theory was soon proven when she looked directly at me, actually establishing eye contact for a few rapid seconds. She then probably realised it was becoming obvious because she proceeded to look away and pretend our gazes never linked, however it was too darn late...

"The topic of this writing will be deep emotions. I don't want anyone, and I mean anyone, to write something easy," she raised her voice, emphasis my ass... She was probably doing this as an indirect way to check up on me and waste trees or at least it was inspired by me and my condition. Either way, it didn't matter. I would still have to write it and, at least, I actually had something decent to talk about despite being quite a challenge as I also needed help understanding it.