12. The Dress

Please don't be shy and don't forget to vote and comment throughout the chapter if you enjoy it. Dedicated to MulanJiang because she is a really nice person and she made me the most amazing cover ever!

12. The Dress

Tessa's POV

I've just arrived at the office and I put my school bag down underneath my desk. Before I sit, I take off my coat, one sleeve at a time, making the time to take my usual peek around the place. As I expected, half of the girls that work here are late and that there still aren't any guys working here... Sexism or do they just don't want to do jobs like this one?

Let out a deep breath once I'm settled in, I'm already exhausted! I didn't get much sleep yesterday... I ended up cancelling on a really nice guy that I was super thrilled to go out with, plus getting to know him a bit better and seeing where things go sounds nice. I feel bad about ditching him yesterday, it felt a bit like a mistake, especially because I did it for someone I've never actually met in person...

The phone started ringing all of the sudden, startling me in the process. I lost my smile, jumped in my seat and let out a little squeal, all at the same time. I just hope nobody heard it, it was embarrassing and a bit on the stereotypical girl side and I am totally not that!

I grab the telephone's handset and say the usual line in a rushed tone.

"Hello, this is a teen helpline, what's the problem? Feel free to confess anything because we are here to help you through every step of the way." I can't hear anything, the caller is completely silent, making all I could hear his or her breathing... "Hello? Is anyone there? Are you okay?" Still nothing, I wonder who is calling and the hell is happening on the other side of the line! "Hello?? I am only here to help, you are safe her-"

And like that the call ends, leaving me midsentence...

"Okay, I guess... It was either a phone version ring-and-ditch or someone who actually did need help but regretted calling, I really hope it wasn't the second option..." I whisper while I run my hands through my hair and bite my bottom lip, I tend to do both those things when I'm nervous or when I am thinking deeply about something...

The phone rings again and the computer says the number and I take a look without moving my head, keeping it against my hand as a support. I check out how many times it's called and since it's such a big number and all of those calls were answered by me, I guess it's James; it can only be him right...? So I use my free hand to pick up the phone's receiver.

"Hey James."

"Hi? How did you know it was me?"

"Surprised hum? Mad sorcery and telepathy powers of course, what else could it be? But don't tell, that's my deepest darkest secret and if I sense that you told someone I will kill with my mind as if I was using THE FORCE!"

"Star Wars, nice! Now seriously Tessa how did you know?"

"Well... We have this programme that tells you how many times someone has called and things like who answered those calls. Plus you've called quite a few times so I was able to memorise the last 3 digits of your number, 951."

"Good to know that you can stalk your clients, I really feel safe knowing that you can find out what I had for dinner last night!"

"Ahah, joke all you want James, let's face it, you are jealous of our magic programme and its divine powers! Plus it's not like the numbers have names or personal information attached to them, the only useful piece of information on the contacts is the colour tag."