Chapter Twenty-Four: Silence

I sit in the hospital chair just outside Aislinn's room, too annoyed and hurt by Derek's words to go back inside and check on her. Unfortunately, all the time spent with myself and the musky smell of the hospital allows my thoughts to take over.

He thinks my father is behind all of this.

How could he think that?

Was he saying it just because he wanted to hurt me? Or did he actually mean it?

I pick up my phone that's sitting on my lap and dial Aidenn's number.

My father isn't the reason why all our parents are dead.

Pressing call, I bring the phone to my ear.

He can't be, he hasn't been around for eighteen years, and he was also shocked when I told mom was dead.

It starts to ring.

And he was with me all of tonight, there was no way he could've hit Aislinn with the car and be at the restaurant at the same time.

Aidenn's voice fills the other end of the line.

Right...?

But... it's his voicemail.

I groan and kick the leg of my chair in frustration.

I see Malum walking through the halls with a confused look on his face, and when he sees me, he starts towards me quickly.

"Where have you been?" I ask, my voice betraying no emotion.

He looks taken aback by my response but doesn't show it for long, "you will not believe how hard it is to find parking in this town, and then once I did, the girl at the front desk wouldn't even help me..."

I snort and am about to tell him about my experience with the same girl, but then Derek's words flash through me mind and I stop myself, allowing him to finish speaking.

Malum starts talking but I drift off, tuning back in only to catch the end,

"...so I wandered every floor trying to find you all while dealing with a call from work, it was absolutely crazy." He finishes and I realize that I totally spaced on him while he was telling his story.

I don't really believe anything Malum is saying to me but I try to push those thoughts away.

"How is she doing?" he asks, his face full of concern.

I don't respond to his question, "When I got in the car earlier tonight, you were on the phone. Who were you talking to?"

He looks taken back, "I don't see why that should concern you."

"Answer the question Malum," I say firmly, my gaze locked on his.

"It was someone from work back home. Since I'm not able to there, I have to do most of my work over the phone," he says slowly, like he's afraid of how I'll respond

"Oh," I say stupidly, annoyed that I let Derek's mistrust get to me.

"What's with the interrogation?" he asks me, not sounding mad; just confused.

I shake my head, clearing away all negative thoughts "it's nothing, I'm sorry. I just have a lot on my mind."

He nods, "I understand. Is your friend going to be okay?"

"They aren't sure," I tell him, "she's not conscious but they're saying she should be waking up soon."

"Well at least there's some good news," he says sincerely, "is her family around?"