Chapter Five: In Libro Caeli

The three of us sit cross legged, in one of the endless aisles of the library, frustrated, and trying to understand exactly what all of this means. Well, actually, that was just me. Derek and his family had the patience of a saint.

Derek's aunt had found us some books that we were both able to read, but we've been sitting here for over two hours and we still haven't found anything useful.

With the help of Adela, Derek, and some of the pages, I understood more about the kind of situation we are in. The person that created us also created the library, and they did it because they wanted power, control. They never ended up getting it because we didn't want to be controlled. Adela appears to know everything about immoral history but no one seems to know the real reason why we were created. She seems to think it's because of control, but I'm not so convinced. If they created us for dark magick, why are they killing everyone who comes close to figuring out what it's really being used for?

That was one of the many questions I didn't know the answer too, and it seems like the library had left us with more problems than anything else.

I huff and Derek reaches over to squeeze my hand, "I know it's not easy Skye. One day isn't going to help you figure out what I'm still trying to understand myself. We'll understand it, one day."

I look over at him and almost feel sorry for how hopeful he is, "I just don't think it's a coincidence that both my mother and my grandparents came here looking for answers and they never found them. How do we know we're not going to end up six feet under like my mom and your parents did?"

"We don't," he says, "I'm pretty sure my parents came here looking for some things too."

I stop him, "wait you think my mother and your parents' deaths were linked?"

He nods, "it may have been the same person, even maybe for the exact same reasons. I don't find it odd that both our parents left around the same time and died as well."

"The odds are never in our favour," I say, more to myself, but Derek hears me clearly.

"I don't know who told you that? but they were right," he says, "things don't just happen for any random reason, not anymore; I realized that a long time ago."

I nod, "well what's so different about us, about me?"

Derek's aunt pops out from the book shelf to our left, scaring both of us nearly half to death.

"Oh just about everything, honey. If there's one thing I know about immortals, it's that they can't visit their dead ancestors in dreams, or the other way around. The dead are dead, they can't cross over to talk to us, no matter how special or supernatural we are. And they certainly never have access to that," she says as she points to my lap.

I look down and see a book sitting on top of both my legs, finding it odd that I didn't feel it land on me before, "I didn't put this there," I say.

"Well of course you didn't." Derek and his aunt say at the same time.

I look at him blankly, "what do you mean?"

Derek looks up from my lap, his green eyes flashing with amazement, "neither of us has seen that book before."

I look at them, confused, "well you're the owner of the library," I say to his aunt, "there's so many books, how can you possible recognize every single one."

She shakes her head, "not in all my years of working here, have I ever seen that book before," she looks at me, "and that one would definitely stay fresh in my mind."