Chapter Twenty-Eight: Find A Way

"He's here!" my grandmother shrieks as soon as the doorbell rings. I quickly put on my shoes and walk downstairs, towards the sound of Derek's nervous chatter.

I walk down the stairs slowly, feeling nervous even though Malum told me not to be. My dress flows behind me and the room goes deathly quiet when I reach the bottom, the only sound being Derek's loud gasp.

Derek stands at the door in a black suit and blue tie that matches the exact colour of my dress. I smile at that, knowing it was all Aislinn's idea.

He looks at me with wide eyes and his cheeks start to redden as he clears his throat awkwardly, his mouth dropping open.

"Hey," I say awkwardly, once I reach him.

He clears his throat again, "h-h-hey... Yea I, uh," he stutters over his words. "You look beautiful," he blurts finally, his voice sounding breathless.

I smile, holding back the tears in my eyes. Derek was everything I wanted and more and I don't know how I ever survived without him before.

I bump his shoulder playfully, trying to lighten the mood, "you clean up nice."

His face goes pale, "is it too much? I know that we're kinda dressed the same even though we're not because you're wearing a dress, and I'm not, obviously, because well that would be weird," he rushes and stumbles over his words, "but Aislinn told me the colour and I thought it would be cool and before I thought about changing it I was already here and you were already coming down the stairs and-"

"Derek," I say lightly while giggling, cutting him off, "slow down. You look perfect; I think it's very cute actually."

He smiles at me gratefully, "you look good too. Better than good actually." I raise my eyebrow at him and he grins sheepishly, "sorry."

I smile at the blush widening on his cheeks.

My grandmother clears her throat, bringing us out of our bubble and reminding me that there are other people in the room. But with Derek, as soon as I walked down the stairs, he was all I saw, all I'll ever look for in a crowded room.

We took our round of cliché pictures but instead of being annoyed, I'm actually grateful. This is the first in a long time that my grandparents actually paid any attention to me. "Have fun you guys, and be safe."

I smile at her while leading Derek out the door.

"Skylar?" my grandmother calls after me and I stop in my tracks, turning around to face her, "we love you."

I smile again, those three words meaning so much more to me than I'd ever be able to explain. I see the meaning behind them even more; that they loved me, and cared for me and despite what it looked like, still believed in me.

I blink back tears and hold a hand to my heart, "I love you guys too."

She shuts the door firmly behind her and I turn to face Derek. I'm about to say something when he grabs the back of my head, drawing me flush up against him and crashes his lips down on mine; our lips moving in sync, the kiss sweet but passionate all at the same time.

When he finally pulls away I ask him breathless, "What was that for?"

He smiles sheepishly, looking embarrassed and content at the same time, "All I could think about doing since you walked down the stairs."

I already knew he wanted to kiss me, judging from the fact that he couldn't take his eyes away from my lips the whole time, but I don't tell him that.