Chapter Two: People Like Me

WHATTTTTTTTTT LIARRRRRRR. DOUBLE UPDATE IN TWO DAYS BECAUSE I'M AWESOME.

This chapter is dedicated to all you lovely (one hundred-twenty and counting) people that decided to give my book a try; I wouldn't be doing this if it wasn't for you. I love you guys so much!

Chapter Two: People Like Me

The next morning I get up earlier than usual, I can say it's because I need to clear my head, but I'd be lying to myself, the truth is I just don't want to run into my grandparents and talk about how normal life is at breakfast when I know what I know; which come to think of it, isn't that much.

I run out of the house faster than I care to admit, and before anyone can stop me. I only get halfway down the porch when I realize I forgot my keys inside. I didn't have enough guts to go in and get them so I decide to walk. And since I'm early enough to walk to the school and back twenty times, I decide to go across town to my favorite coffee shop.

Fifteen minutes later I walk out of the shop and get welcomed by the warm scent of freshly brewing coffee, the smell of stale cigarettes, and the sour promise of a nothing-but-ordinary day.

I don't get very far when I hear someone calling my name from across the parking lot. I take a deep breath, knowing exactly who it is and turn around slowly, my blonde ponytail swinging behind me.

Derek runs from across the street, his light brown hair catching the wind. He wears a t-shirt so green it brings out the colour in his eyes, and dark faded jeans.

I smile at him, not being able to hide the halfhearted-ness of it.

"What are you doing here? I didn't know you came to this coffee shop," he says.

"I think I should probably be asking you that question seeing how I've been living here my whole life and you've been here for what, a week?" I smile at him sarcastically.

He chuckles and looks down at his shoes, almost he's self-consciously, "a month," he corrects me. "But nice try."

I smile and shrug casually.

After a few uncomfortable beats of silence, he talks unexpectedly, "No car?"

I look up at him, "what?"

"Do you have a car?" he asks slowly.

"Oh!" I say, feeling stupid, "yeah, but I left it at my house."

"Why?" he asks, "parents take the keys away?"

"Yeah," I say, hoping it was only that simple, "something like that."

"Well if you want, I can give you a ride back into town," he says, as he motions behind him.

I glance at the direction he's pointing to hesitantly, unsure of what I should do.

"I'm going there anyways," he tries again. "It wouldn't really make sense for me to leave without you."

I pause for a moment but smile after a moment, "yeah, sure."

When I get in the car, a couple of beats of awkward silence pass before he starts asking questions, "So are you in a fight with your parents or something? Is that why you're roaming the street at six thirty in the morning."

"Just like you were?" the words shoot out my lips defensively before I can stop them and I instantly feel bad for snapping at him.

I shake my head in response to his question, "I wish."

He looks at me confused and I answer his unasked question, "my mom died when I was four."