Chapter Twenty Four ➰

THE EXPLANATION

Tia POV

"I fucked up." He admitted.

"What have you done?" I asked. He shook his head, refusing to tell me. We were sat on a grassy bank not far from where we'd stopped the car.

I think he gave me whiplash.

"Why would they want to hurt you?" I had so many questions running through my mind, I felt scared, confused and frankly a little pissed off. I never asked for any of this.

"Because I hurt them." Oh god. He looked at my panic stricken face and grabbed my chin. "Please don't look at me like that, like you're scared." What did he want smiles and fucking unicorns. Everything I thought I knew was wrong, who the hell was this guy?

"But I am scared Hunter because I have no idea what is going on. You keep texting away on your phone, you've told me barely anything so far, how do you expect me to act?" I ranted. "Hunter please tell me."

"You'll hate me." He said simply with a sad smile.

I'll hate you more if you don't tell me.

"You won't know until you tell me, if I am in danger I have every right to know no matter how you feel." I expressed.

"It's for your own benefit, the reason I'm not telling you is to protect you. How can't you see that?"

"I need to know what you're protecting me from!" I snapped. "You either tell me right now else I'll walk." I stood from the grassy bank, letting him know I was dead serious.

"Promise me you won't run then!" That wasn't fair of him to ask me, I couldn't guarantee I wouldn't run for the hills.

"I can't promise anything Hunter," I admitted, "Hunter if you are in danger maybe I can help you, keeping me in the dark will only cause problems for the both of us."

He didn't say anything for a good couple of minutes. My patience was wearing incredibly thin.

"Ok." He blew out a breath he was holding before he dived straight in. "Have an open mind please Tia." I nodded, he continued. "Mr Jones, Liam's father is my dads arch nemesis he's tried to sabotage me and my family for as long as I can remember, it's an ongoing feud, they hurt us we hurt them. See my dad and big J as they call him go way back, I don't know the full extent behind the feud and I've never asked. My dads getting on now Tia so is Big J, so I took over my dads business, and some of this business is not exactly legal, a year ago before I came back, my dad had worked with someone over seas to bring over this shipment containing the date rape drug that was meant to be a huge thing and a huge money maker, but this batch of this drug was faulty if you like, the people that had tried it tragically died hours later whilst they were sleeping." He paused to check I was still following.The drug id been spiked with? Oh hell no.

"So my dad backed out of the deal and the plan was to destroy them by dumping it at sea, but there was a snake among us who went feeding back to the Jones family, of course a drug so deadly it could kill was ideal for them so in the middle of the night they made their move and stole it. We never heard anything from them since, now this drug is pretty distinctive to spot it's bright blue powder baked into a tablet, so I'd spot it anywhere, so imagine my shock when I'm in town and Stacey trips over in front of me and the contents of her bag fly everywhere, and I spot a bag of blue powder, that's why she was my date I used her for information that obviously I didn't get because she had other intentions."