Another Surprise

By: phanficinyourhair on tumblr

Word count: 1,030

Summary: A year after the events of Doge, Dan gets another surprise he doesn't expect.

"Daaaaaaan!" Dan was shaken out of slumber, feeling little licks on his palm as his eyes focused on the patterns of the ceiling. "What?" Dan felt like Phil had no reason for waking him up. "It's Christmas!" Dan sat up, deciding that he'd let this slide for now. "The lounge?" Phil said, with a smile. Dan smiled back and took Phil's hand.

As they walked into the lounge, Doge followed behind them, tail wagging. "Presents?" Dan nodded, and Phil ran to the tree like a child during Christmas. He chuckled at the adorableness of his boyfriend, before walking over to him. Doge went to lay in his bed.

"This one's from me." Phil grabbed a small, neatly wrapped box from under the tree. He handed it to Dan, who gently tore open the wrapping paper. He noticed a flash of bright light from in front of him, and looked up at Phil, who was holding his phone in front of him, seemingly taking pictures of Dan. "You left flash on, you nerd." Dan smiled.

"Oops." It sent Dan into a fit of giggles. "Just open it." Phil sighed. Dan obeyed, a silent hum of laughter still slightly heard. he removed the lid of the box to find the perfect phone case. The back was littered with black glitter and yellow stars. A perfect representation of his soul.

"Phil, I love it!" Dan was holding up the phone case with glee. Phil snapped a photo, and Dan let out a satisfied sigh. "Here's your present, Phil." Dan grabbed a box with phil's name on it. "It's from me."

Phil put down his phone and grabbed it. In turn, Dan took out his phone and started snapping pictures. As his love unwrapped and opened the present, Dan was smiling widely. Phil removed the lid, finding a squished up blobfish plushie inside. He took it out, laughing at the deformed look it had.

"The poor thing." he chuckled. "Do a sad face." Phil frowned, looking at the camera. Dan shot a photo as he laughed. Phil fluffed the pluhie back to what was hopefully it's former shape. "Come on, we're not done yet." Phil gestured for Dan to come over.

"This one's for Doge." he handed Dan a square shaped box. "Come here, boy!" Dan called out. Doge immedietly ran to them, his tail excitedly going everywhere. "This one's for you." he said, as he unwrapped the paper covering the box.

Doge lifted the lid up with his nuzzle. There was a multitude of dog toys in there. bones, stuffed toys, squeaky toys, you name it, it was in there. Doge barked in delight, turning in circles. "Phil, that's so sweet!"

Hours later, presents all unwrapped, food eaten, movies all watched, dog well groomed, Phil told Dan he was going to their bedroom.

"I'm tired, I'm going to bed. I'll see you later, love." Phil kissed his forehead and left, Doge trailing behind him. Dan was quite suspicious. Phil doesn't usually shut off that early. He waited a few minutes, and climbed up the stairs. He opened the door, to find an awaiting surprise.

A dozen of candles, all lit, were sitting everywhere. One of them smelled of candy canes, letting the scent of sweet, sweet peppermint flow through the room. There was a miseltoe taped to the wall. Underneath, stood Phil.

"W-what?" Dan was confused. "Love, come here." Dan strode over to Phil, heart rate starting to beat faster. "I love you, so much. We've done a lot this year. The tour, the book, and everything else." Dan looked into his lover's eyes as his partner let out gentle words. "I know they were quite tiring, but nothing else made me more proud of you than the moment we stood on stage. We go way back. From the moment that we met in 2009, to the moment when we fought too much in 2012, to the moment that we proudly intoduced our book, our very own fabase watching in 2015, I have never been more proud of you than any other moment. The moment that I first spoke to you, made me fall in love. I have never felt any kind of love like this." Dan's eyes were welling up with tears.

"Remember that text I sent you in 2009? 'I love you from here..'? I know that you've been longing to hear what I meant. I meant from back in our own houses in 2009, to our own homely flat in 2015. Maybe even further. I never expected my life to turn out this way, but I couldn't have done anything without you. You complete me. You're my everything. You're the most special thing to me, and I never want to let you go."

Dan was crying. Full-on tear falling, snot-filled crying. "So I'm asking you, Dan Howell, to make sure that you never slip out of my grasp. I'm asking you, my beloved sweetheart, my whole world, my one and only, my saviour, my everything, to marry me."

Dan was frantically nodding, too overwhelmed for words. "I love you." Phil kissed him so sweetly. His now fiance's arms went to his waist. His heart was gently beating with love, warmth washing over him. He was so touched. Nothing has ever made him cry so many tears of joy. Their lips moved together. It was gentle. It was loving.

When they reluctantly broke away, noses still touching, Dan muttered a silent, loving, sweet 'I love you'. Doge started barking, and the two looked at him. Dan picked him up, and carried him like a baby. "I love you." Dan said again, and placed his head comfortably on Phil's shoulder.

Dan looked at their dog, and noticed something odd with the collar. It looked something like- "A ring!" Dan's eyes widened as the tears dried up. "I'll take it off him for you." Phil suggested.

When the ring was off his collar, Phil placed the ring on Dan's finger. "I'm engaged." he quietly, but happily stated. "Also, why did you put a miseltoe on the wall?" Dan asked, lifting his head to look at Phil. "It's still Christmas." Phil giggled. "You nerd."