He Didn't Seem To Notice

By: Littleworldofobsessions on ao3

Word count: 6,474

Summary: "He went to the same primary school as Dan, just a few years above. The small boy with the blue eyes and black hair to contrast to his pale face. He always seemed so happy, like a little ray of sunshine.

Almost every day for a year Dan had seen the three years older boy in school and figured out that they were in fact next door neighbours. He wondered if the older one knew. Dan had friends his own age, but they weren't even near as fascinating as his black haired neighbour. Dan really looked up to this boy."

Phil is Dan's biggest idol when they're small, but things aren't quite as easy when they grow older...

Basically on of those cheesy Dan and Phil growing up together fics... Because I thought we needed more of those...

This sounds so horribly cheesy and it probably is too....

Age 6 and 9

He went to the same primary school as Dan, just a few years above. The small boy with the blue eyes and black hair to contrast to his pale face. He always seemed so happy, like a little ray of sunshine. Dan often wondered why the boy never got bullied or even teased for always smiling, when Dan himself had seen the bigger kids go after the ones always with a smile on their faces. How come this boy was safe? Dan had experienced some teasing the very first day of primary school, but that was about it. At least for now.

Almost every day for a year Dan had seen the three years older boy in school and figured out that they were in fact next door neighbours. He wondered if the older one knew. Dan had friends his own age, but they weren't even near as fascinating as his black haired neighbour. Dan really looked up to this boy. He convinced his mum to buy him Pokémon shirts to match his newfound idol, he tried his best to style his hair the same way, everything to look like the boy and hopefully catch his attention. Unfortunately the boy never seemed to notice Dan or his attempts to impress him, not even when Dan very loudly had talked to his friends about how many Pokémon cards he had when the older boy walked by. It was making Dan a bit sad to be honest.

Then suddenly, one day, Dan's wishes came true, just not in the way he'd wanted.

Dan was sitting on the steps outside school waiting for his mum to come. His class had ended 30 minutes early and his mum was to come when it actually was supposed to end. So he had no choice but to wait. He had his gameboy, so it was not like he would die of boredom... He had almost defeated the level he was on when the gameboy was snatched out of his hands. He looked up shyly and his gaze was met by two older guys. Dan didn't recognise them, but he didn't like the way they looked, dressed all in black with mean smirks. He stood up to take his property back, but of course they were taller than him and the guy holding the gameboy just reached his arm a little higher and Dan couldn't reach, not even if he jumped. Dan felt frustrated tears starting to form in his eyes, but refused to let them slip in front of these guys.

"Look, Brad, he's letting the smile slip!" one of them said and his nasty smirk grew wider. Dan felt foolish for thinking that they wouldn't come after him and his smile when they went for everyone else. The one named Brad threw the gameboy to the other boy and grabbed Dan's arms, locking them behind his back. He was locked against Brad's chest and no matter how hard he was fighting back, kicking, spitting, screaming, he was stuck. The boys seemed to find all this really funny, Dan couldn't see why. He didn't have control over his tears anymore and they were streaming down his face. Why couldn't they just give him his gameboy back?