Blue eyes and spilled drinks

By: revengeofthefans on ao3

Word count: 1,732

Summary: Dan frequently visits this little coffee shop hoping to catch a glimpse of the blue eyed barista. The only problem, Dan hates coffee.

Dan's pov

The door squeaks as I push it open, letting out the smell of coffee into the frigid, winter air. I carefully pick my way over to the line forming in front of the register. My eyes scan over the specials taking in the neat script written on the chalkboard. I take in the slanted writing and sloping vowels. I look up to see piercing blue eyes staring at me. I note that it is my turn and quickly recite the order I know by heart. I hand over the crumpled bills and our finger barely brush against each other. I startle and quickly pull my hand away hoping he didn't notice how much that tiny, insignificant touch affected me. Thankfully it looks like he didn't notice or maybe he just didn't care.

He hands me my coffee and with a polite, "have a nice day," goes on to the next customer. I take the drink to my usual seat and sit down. I take a sip of the hot beverage and my face scrunches into one of disgust before I school it into a more neutral expression. I take another sip and try not gag as the bitter liquid burns its way down my throat. I have always hated coffee, but when my friends dragged me here after an intense study session, I couldn't help but notice the raven haired beauty behind the counter. Ever since then I had been coming here just for a glimpse of the blue eyed angel.

I take another sip of the coffee and watch him as he works trying to be discreet. I observe the way he smiles with his teeth and how his pale fingers gently push the fringe out of his eyes. I take out my phone to aimlessly scroll through tumblr and I laugh at how crazy some people can be. The screech of a chair dragging across the linoleum, wakes me from my daze. I look up to see searing cobalt eyes and a smile with teeth so white it could be considered blinding. His eyes seem to peer into my very existence. I try to look away but my gaze is locked. Before I realize it my coffee is in my lap and my blue eyed beauty is frantically offering his help.

I stand up and feel the coffee slithering down my leg and creating a pool on the floor. The ebony haired barista sprints behind the counter and returns with a handful napkins. He hands them to me while frantically apologizing. I wave off his apologies as I attempt to dry my jeans or at least stop them from dripping.

"I'm so sorry. Is there anything I can do?" he says with a small smile and an awkward laugh. My heart feels like it just melted out of my chest and joined the coffee on the floor.

"It's not your fault but if you don't mind there is something you could do for me," I say quickly while I formulate a plan.

"Of course, anything."

"Could you tell me your name?" I ask with a small smile, flashing my dimple.

"It's, uh, Phil," he says with a blush lightly dusting his pale cheeks. "Can I ask, what your name is?" The blue eyed bea.. I mean Phil gives me this smile with his tongue poking through is bright, white teeth.

"My name is Dan," I say with an awkward little wave before I stop myself and look at my feet.

"Well Dan, can I get you another drink on the house?"

"I actually have to go," I say as I glance at my watch. "Though I feel bad about making a mess, so maybe we could go get dinner sometime this week, after you get off work, at the diner up the street?"

"That would be great. Is tonight okay for you?" Phil asks with a hopeful expression on his face.

"Tonight would be great," I confirm with a grin. I put my number in his phone and start the long trek back to the university.