don't be afraid, it's only love

By: larry_hystereks on ao3

Word count: 5,400

Summary: all the times phil didn't propose + the day he finally did

Phil buys the ring on a Tuesday. 

There's nothing special about the day, he wasn't planning it either. Dan had just gone out to lunch with a friend from university, and Phil wasn't really sure the next time he'd be alone to do this. 

The shop is small, family-owned by the description on the website he had read earlier this morning. 

A man in his late forties approaches him as soon as he's in the door, and a "I'm just browsing" somehow ends up with him leaving with a gorgeous black engagement ring and a hole in his wallet. 

When Phil gets home it hits him that he just bought a ring for a Dan. A ring for Dan that he plans on proposing to him with. You know, for an actual marriage. 

He scratches the back of his head and wonders where the hell he's supposed to put the thing. Any place he can think of, Dan's surely to look.

Since they've started writing their book they've been sharing more and more. Tired nights typing on laptops and constant discussion of what stories to add (and what they definitely cannot add), have led to them being practically conjoined at the hip.

There aren't many places left in Phil's room anymore that aren't littered with Dan's things. Black socks among his colored ones, a second set of laptop and phone chargers sitting on his nightstand, Dan's university sweatshirt tangled around Phil's on the floor.

Phil knows Dan should be home soon and tries to rack his brain for some kind of solution.

Eventually he just sticks the velvet box in one half of a pair of expensive shoes he rarely wears. 

He hears the door unlock and Dan call out that he's home. 

Phil sighs and shakes his head, putting on a smile and trying to forget the ring sitting in the back of his closet. 

-----

It's been two months and he still hasn't done anything with it. The ring.

He hasn't even told anyone he bought it yet. 

He'd almost forgotten he'd bought the thing entirely with how busy they've been with the book. 

Who knew writing could be so damn hard?

He's sat on the couch now, Dan's head pillowed in his lap as they're watching a travel show. They've managed to meet one of their deadlines for their book publisher and are celebrating by doing absolutely nothing. It's just short of blissful. 

"How do you reckon these people just move to an entirely new country?" Dan asks. 

Phil shrugs, hand carding absentmindedly through Dan's hair. 

"I dunno, I couldn't do it." Phil answers. 

"Yeah, me either. I'm still getting used to London." Dan replies. 

He's quiet again for a while, the soft voices of the television host filling the room. 

"I mean, I would like to travel though," Dan says after while. "There's still a lot of places I'd like to see." 

Phil smiles. "Me too."

"I've always wanted to go to Japan," Dan muses. "And America. As in more than just the places that have youtube conventions," Dan continues. Phil bets he's rolling his eyes. "Even places in Europe, and England that we just haven't been to."