i love you so (but i don't want you to know)

By: glasseslouis on ao3

Word count: 2,668

Summary: the high school AU nobody asked for in which dan is a secret admirer and baking genius, and phil is oblivious in more ways than one.

Phil Lester felt his stomach turn as he turned the corner and approached room 211-B. A burnt smell was escaping from the room, and Phil stared at the door handle, knowing that it would engulf him as soon as he opened the door. He also knew, almost quite certainly actually, that he would be contributing to the smell in roughly twenty minutes.

Phil had been a straight-A student his entire life, but stick him in front of a sewing machine or standing mixer and you've got a recipe for disaster – no pun intended. He'd somehow missed an arts credit along the way in his high school career, so in a last-ditch effort to get it taken care of in time, he took the only class available.

Home economics.

He just wasn't cut out for a subject as hands-on as home ec. He was much better with English and writing, and he was decent at math. The only other thing he screwed up at as much as home ec was chemistry, which made sense if you thought about it. They both involved breakable objects and potentially dangerous mixtures, things Phil didn't exactly gel with.

There was one good thing about the class, though.

Phil had a secret admirer.

At least once a week, he'd walk into class and there'd be something sitting on his desk. Sometimes, it was a blueberry muffin, or a heart-shaped cookie, or a baking related pun handwritten on a scrap of graph paper. Phil hadn't the slightest idea who it could be – he never had time to investigate in class, since he was always trying to make sure he didn't sew his fingers together or burn the classroom down. He had a feeling that whoever it was, though, was the best cook in the whole class. Phil tried everything that they made for him, and it was always delicious.

That almost made going to home ec worth it.

Phil squared his shoulders and pulled the door open. He slid into his seat just as the late bell rang and found a folded up piece of paper in front of him. Phil opened it while Mrs. Bell took attendance.

Roses are red,

Violets are blue.

I heard you like Muse,

I do too.

It was no Robert Frost or William Blake, but Phil still felt his ears go pink at the tiny, smudged writing. He whipped his head around, looking for anyone who might be interested in the note, but everyone either looked bored, hungry, or both.

Phil folded the note up and stuck it in his pocket for safe-keeping. He tried his hardest to listen to Mrs. Bell as she explained what they were making. Chocolate soufflés. Apparently, they were difficult if you didn't follow directions. Phil tried to stifle a groan – as if the class wasn't hard enough already, he was now expected to be the next MasterChef.

He ended up doodling in his notebook while Mrs. Bell explained the same safety measures that she'd explained since the beginning – Phil was sure he'd muck at least one up no matter what – and found himself drawing roses in red ink and violets in blue. His mind wandered back to his secret admirer. He hoped they were nice. It would really suck to have a secret admirer that turned out to be a jerk, wouldn't it? He lifted his head and caught the eye of the girl next to him. Heather, he thought her name was? She smiled and broke eye contact, turning back to her notebook. Phil wondered if the blush on her cheeks was makeup or if he'd made her do that. Was she the secret admirer?