Chapter 18

Rose's POV

I woke up to the sound of people talking. My hands were tied behind my back and I was surrounded by trees.

"What do you mean you want the girl?" I heard a voice say. When I looked under the horse, that was tied next to me, I saw two men. One was a strange man that resembled a frog and the other one was Henry. My body started to shake as the ugly memories started to replay in my mind. I didn't know how I got here, but all I could remember was being outside the enchantress's cabin and hearing a sound. And when I inspected where it came from I was attacked.

"I'm sorry Mr Frog, but the girl belongs to me." I heard Henry say. Mr Frog? That must be the same man Keelan told me about.

I felt a weight on my shoulder as their arguing droned on. When I looked up I saw that Blueby was perched on my shoulder. And I've never been more happier to see my sweet bird that wiggled his way into my heart.

"Blueby warn Keelan." I whispered to the little bird before it gave a whistle and flew off. When I returned my gaze to the men I saw that Mr Frog was lying on the ground with eyes closed and I got a feeling Henry was to blame.

I heard him come over and quickly shut my eyes pretending to be asleep. He hunched over me before he traced my jaw with his fingers.

"Don't worry Rose we're almost home." He said before he picked me up and placed me on the horse. After he was seated behind me he urged the horse into a sprint.

We rode long and hard and all I could hope was that Blueby finds Keelan in time.

-*-

Keelan's POV

The next morning I woke with a song in my heart and a smile on my face. I couldn't believe I kissed Rose, but I was glad I did. I only hope she realised how much I really felt for her. I think I might love, no who was I kidding I did love her and I was going to tell her today.

My smile only brightened at the thought of telling Rose I loved her. And maybe the legend of us being soulmates might just be true. I only hope she feels the same. I quickly got dressed and headed to the kitchen. Everyone was already seated, everyone except Rose.

"Morning. Where's Rose?" I asked.

"Maybe she's still sleeping. I'll quickly check on her." Evelyn said before she walked to Rose's room.

A horrid expression was etched on her face when she returned.

"She's not there."

"Where could she be then?" I asked worried.

"I'm sure there is a reasonable explanation." Carling said. Just then Blueby flew through the open window. He fluttered bewilderedly around me before he flew to Rose's room. He fluttered there a few times and I didn't understand what the bird wanted. Then suddenly it made sense.

"Do you know where Rose is?" I asked and the bird let out a whistle. I told it to show me the way as I rounded up the knights. I could only hope she was safe.

-*-

We journeyed after the bird for hours before the bird stopped. I climbed of my horse and began inspecting the area. There were boot prints and traces of a fire. I quickly felt the ashes but it was stone cold.

"They've certainly been here, but it's a while ago. It would be hard to catch up with them." I said as I picked up some ashes and let it flew in the wind.

"Who could've taken her?" Nick asked. Right at that moment my eyes caught onto something blinking in the sun. I moved closer to inspect it and when I picked it up, I immediately recognised it as Henry's ring.