Chapter 12

Rose's POV

Keelan was facing the pond before he cleared the awkward air between us.

"When I was a young child, I couldn't swim. I had a fear of water and my father patiently waited for me to overcome my fear, before he taught me. He was always caring of me. Me and my sister, Eleanor. My father was good friends with the human king and whenever he visisted his son would come along. Henry was friendly and I immediately treated him like the brother I never had. Eleanor,on the other hand, didn't see him as a brother, but something more. They were both two years older than me and it wasn't long before they went on their own adventures. I was always the one left behind, but it never bothered me, until one day. I was busy playing in the gardens when I heard Eleanor cry. I immediately searched for her and when I found her I saw she had a few bruises. When I asked her about it, she only said she fell when she and Henry played. I didn't believe her and the next day I followed them. I saw them playing together until they needed to pick a new game. Eleanor wanted to play another game and refused to play his game, that's when he started to hit her and scream at her. I ran towards them, but when she saw me she ran off into the woods. I told Henry I was going to tell my father. He got mad, and knowing I couldn't swim, he pushed me into the pond." Keelan said as he turned around and our eyes locked.

"The pond you rescued me from, and where I gave my pendant to you." Everything about that day came back to me and the puzzle pieces started to fit. Keelan came closer towards me, before he continued.

"When Eleanor heard that I was going to tell father about Henry's abuse, she told me she would never speak to me again if I told father. So I decided to keep quiet, only I wish I didn't. When we were older my father told us my sister was to marry Henry, she wasn't as thrilled as I hoped for. She then left to marry her Prince, but she never returned. A few months later we received a letter saying she passed and he brought the urn with her remains a week later. I was so angry and I blamed him. I didn't believe him and I felt it in my gut that he wasn't as innocent as he wanted to appear. And then I went to the coming of age ball only to see you, and then he proposed. I was so angry and mad and...he took my sister away and now he was about to take you away too." He said with a sigh. I felt so sorry for him, I could clearly hear in his voice that he was disappointed with himself.

"I was overwhelmed with the thought of revenge and I immediately grabbed the opportunity to get him back for what he did. I had a plan and everything, but then I started to spend time with you. And then I realised something. I couldn't see you hurt, and I couldn't hurt you by keeping you away from the man you love, no matter what he did. Rose you're free to leave, and I don't care if the forces aren't ready yet, all I care about is that you are happy." He said as he tucked a piece of hair behind my ear. I felt every word he spoke and I was surprised to hear about Henry. I could hear the defeat in his voice.

"I'm sorry about everything." I said.

"Its not your fault. You deserve a better life than being locked up in a tower. Your free to go." He said as he turned around to face the pond once more.

But I didn't want him to think I hated it here. I took in a big breath before I did the thing I feared for the most.

"I want to stay." I said softly as I looked up at him.

-*-

Keelan's POV

I whipped my head around to face her again. Her words shocked me to say the least, I thought she hated it here.

"You...You want to stay? Why?" I asked.

I saw her eyes glaze over and I knew she was recalling a terrible memory. She closed her eyes, took a big breath before it was her turn to talk.