Chapter One Perfecting Stages

Picture above is Kyan Leighton ^^^^

Chapter one

Every closet has its skeletons.

Mistletoe is the perfect town. It's quiet and it's simple. It's surrounded by forest, but inside is a small town of about four thousand people and schools and other buildings and attractions.

I've lived here my whole life. Everything is perfect. Or so it seems. You have the usual cookie cutter houses, mowed lawns and trimmed hedges, even a few gnomes.

The people are kind, and there is little to no crime, most certainly nothing serious.

But Mistletoe is a closet, and its full of skeletons. I'm pretty sure most of them are buried in my backyard, but we'll get to that.

When I was a little girl my dad had an affair, and he left me and my mom for "the other woman". He just up and left after months of fighting with my mom. It took my mom a year to convince him to file for divorce.

Afterwards my mom had to step up and fill two roles in a household. She had to work for and buy the bacon and cook it too. She worked two jobs, an office job, and a part time assistant to the towns veterinarian. She always wanted to be a nurse, but she never got the dream, at least not in the way she thought.

Somewhere along the way she met Paul. He seemed like a nice guy who could hold the house up. Keep the government from coming to take it away, and me.

So she married him. That was ten years ago. I am now seventeen. And we have been living here ever since the beginning of time, in the same house, same neighborhood, and same town that I will never be rid of.

My name is Naomi Wallace and this is my life.

I sit at the kitchen table eating a bowl of fruit loops and reading through the Sunday comics. My mom is in the other room doing the week's load of laundry. Paul is in the garage working on his old Chevy.

I am just about to learn a secret of Garfield's when I hear a noise. The high pitch whaling siren of a moving truck backing into the driveway of the house next to ours. Pretty detailed right?

Well that's because I have a perfect view of a moving truck backing into the driveway of the house next to us through our kitchen window.

My mom escapes the confines of the laundry room and walks up next to me.

"We have new neighbors!" she exclaims as she begins pulling out the baking pans, oven mitts and her cook book.

I shake my head at her as I watch the truck creak into the driveway and lurch forward as it brakes.

The truck is in immaculate condition for a moving truck. Its white paint seems scratch and scuff free. The tires are new and perfectly black. And it looks out of place sitting in the front of the house next to ours.

I hear Paul walk in through the garage and I can feel his presence behind me. which automatically makes me tense up.

"New neighbors huh?" he says as he lays a hand on my shoulder.

I swallow hard and pay attention to the family moving in. Everything seems normal. I see a mother, a father, a little girl and a boy my age.

A boy, more like god's gift to women. How can someone so young look so gorgeous?

I was still going through puberty, or what I like to call the perfecting stages.

I couldn't help but stare. He was what every girl swooned over in the movies, perhaps even a few mothers.