XXVII

**Caroline**

Stupid girl. She was too easy. I don't understand why he gave my such an easy target. Of course, I didn't follow his rules, I was sure to get a beating for that. But what does it matter? I got out, left the alpha weak while his mate lay dying in his arms.

I'd call it a success.

Walking leisurely, I smell him before I see him.

"Is it done?"

I smile, turning to face him, "not exactly according to your plan, but yes. The alpha's weak. Your daughter is dead, and you-"

My words are cut of when hands wrap around my throat."

"You didn't follow the plan?! You've ruined everything! Don't you realize?! She's an alpha's daughter mated to an alpha. Whatever you did, she'll heal too fast for it to really kill her! Weaken her, yes, kill her, no. You're pathetic. I guess I'll just have to do things myself."

Black spots fill my vision and I claw at his hands, trying to get him to let go, "please."

He smiles, "fine."

And then everything goes black.

•••
**Lena**

A constant throb at the back of my neck is the first thing that welcomes me when I open my eyes. Wincing, I turn my head to look around the room, only to find my mate with his head on the bed next to me and his hand in my own.

Squeezing it softly, his head snaps up, his eyes holding surprise and relief, "you're awake."

"I am, I doubt you lost any sleep over it though," I reply smiling a little, saying what I had said when I had passed out at the pack unity ceremony.

He smiles, though it doesn't quite reach his eyes.

The throbbing grows slightly and I wince, "what happened?"

Almost just realizing, he jumps up and calls for the doctor.

"She tried to snap your neck, Lena," Roman tells me.

"Who? Caroline?" I ask.

He nods just as the doctor enters. She's young, her hair dark and long, her skin beautifully tan. I couldn't help but feel envious of her looks.

Her eyes fall on Roman, lingering for too long and I nearly growl in warning, but the pain too unbearable to do so, and a whimper escapes my lips instead. Weak.

Never once did Roman look at the woman though, and that alone made my heart swell.

"I see you're awake, Luna," she says, her voice evidentially unhappy.

I glare at her, but smile, "Yep."

Roman raises an eyebrow at me, but I glare at him too. He isn't doing anything to stop her!

He gives me another confused look but I roll my eyes and turn my attention back to the gawking Doctor, "so, when can I leave?"

She looks down at her papers, "we need to run some tests first, get you your prescription for pain medication, and then you can go."

"Tests?" Roman asks.

Her face lights up when he speaks to her, and at this point he notices.

"Look, I'm here, with my mate, trying to find a way to help her. You're being unprofessional and I'm not afraid to ask for help from someone else," He growls.

She bows her head, "sorry, Alpha."

Hm, that's what I thought.

"Now, what tests does she need to take? What are they for?" He questions again.