XVIII

One year has passed, and the war is still going on. There's not a day I don't hope for Roman to break the tree line, telling me it's time to go home.

It's become unhealthy, really. I sit outside during the daytime on the porch, then at night, I sleep on the couch--or try to.

I've stayed happy, though. Aria sits with me, and we talk about mindless things. Simon goes during the day to check the border patrol. It's become like clockwork.

I wake up and go outside, Aria joins me, Simon leaves, I go inside and sleep.

It's the same everyday. Most people would think it maddening, but I find it relaxing. The day Roman left, he put his walls up in his mind, never spoke to me. I guess it was for the best, because I know that I probably would follow him if we spoke.

I miss him greatly. At first, I would cry until I was dry-heaving in the toilet, and Aria would hold my hair back. I never really threw up, I don't think I could bring myself to.

I do know that he's safe, the bond would tell me if it were the opposite. Nothing has made me fear if he's alive or not, because I know that he is.

"It's a year today," Aria says as we sit on the porch.

I nod, "I know."

"I'm not going to even ask if you miss him, because I know that you do," she states.

Simon walks out and smiles, then leans down and kisses Aria. She frowns pushing him away, "Simon."

He looks up at me apologetically; I turn away, "It's fine, Aria. Just because my mate isn't here, doesn't mean you should stop enjoying yours. It's okay, really."

"I'm going to check borders, you two have a nice day," Simon says, then walks off.

"I'm sorry, Lena," Aria apologizes.

I smile at her, "it's fine, I promise."

She shakes her head, "no, it's not. It's not fair to you to have to watch it. It's insensitive of us."

I roll my eyes jokingly, "Aria, I said it's fine, don't worry about it."

A couple of minutes later, Simon breaks the tree line in a sprint. Aria and I stand, then walk off the porch towards him.

"What is it?" I ask.

"Roman, he's-he's been captured," he states, out of breath.

Aria wraps her arm around my shoulders, "when?"

I stare at the ground. He's been captured? How? Why didn't I feel anything?

"Last night," he answers.

"Why didn't I feel anything?" I ask.

"Did you feel extremely tired before you went to sleep?" He questions.

I nod, "Yeah, but I thought it was just because it was late."

"He was injected with wolfsbane, it made him pass out. That's why you were so tired," Simon tells me.

"Do they know where he is?" I ask.

"We have an idea," he replies.

"Then why aren't any of you doing anything? My mate is captured and you're all sitting around like lazy cowards," I growl.