XXVI

Walking outdoors has always brought me a sense of peace. It connected me with my wolf, made me feel as though things could be okay again.

I take a deep breath, the smells igniting my senses. Flowers, water from the stream, fresh air. Exhaling, I listen to the sounds around me. The birds high chirping, the wind sizzling against the leaves. Another breath in and I catch another scent.

Roman. The smell of a forest after a storm, but then a little of something else. Something...Him.

Without opening my eyes, I feel him take a seat next to me on the grass, his shoulder brushing mine. I also feel his gaze on me and smile, "what is it?"

He chuckles and I open my eyes to look at him. His eyes soften when they fall on me, his dark eyes revealing his emotions so easily. Something I'm not used to seeing when we're around other people.

"What?" I question, my voice light.

He shrugs, then looks down at my hands before reaching over and taking mine in his, "I love you."

I feel my chest swell, my heart wanting to reach out and merge with his own, "I love you too, Roman."

His eyes meet mine again, "I'm proud of you, you know? It showed bravery and leadership standing up to Miles like you did."

I shrug, "We need a different way to approach things, we can't just keep killing people."

He sighs, "Lena, I need you to understand something-"

I nod, urging him to continue when he hesitates.

"-when we go through with this plan, you won't be there. But before you can argue, let me explain. You mean more to me than anything in this world. My pack, my things, my life. If I let you go, there's a chance that you could be killed, a chance that you won't come home-"

"But Roman-"

"-no, let me finish. I can't allow that to happen. I will be there because it's my duty to lead our people. You will be home because it's your duty to encourage and be there for our people. You are the Luna of our pack, Lena, and it's your job to take over if anything were to happen to me. I need you alive. If not for yourself or for me, then for our pack."

"But there's a chance that you could not come home, do you not think I won't be affected?" I question, my voice breaking slightly.

His head falls, his hold tightening on my hand, "just don't think that way. I've given up on my own strength. I can't do anything anymore if I don't have you by my side. I know that sounds weak and pitiful, but it's the truth. You are my life, and maybe one day I'll have a family that will take over my heart even more, but right now, I need you to be strong. For me."

I nod, leaning my head on his shoulder, "let's not talk about it right now, then."

Releasing my hand, he wraps that arm around me, pulling me closer, "alright. What shall we talk about then?"

I smile, looking up at him, "what did you mean, a family that will take over your heart?"

"Well, who else is going to take over my position when I'm old and greying?" He asks.

"You really want kids?"

He nods, "not right now, not while all of this is going on, but eventually, yes."